Praise Report: GHS Big Core Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Linnin, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    GHS BIG Core Bass Roundwound Electric Bass Strings Medium 45-105

Ever since I first heard about these strings, I've wanted to try a set, and I'm damn glad I did!

As you might suspect, these strings have a larger hex core. How much larger I don't know. GHS claims "the larger core wire supplies note definition and focus while still maintaining excellent feel". They are wraped in a proprietary nickel iron alloy. The .105 E string is taper wound and GHS has this to say "it is this taper design that increases fundamental bass note accuracy, adds sustain and tone life and insures outstanding E string performance past the fifth fret".

String Tension: G=44.7 D=50.2 A=49.3 E=40.8 Total stringset tension=185 pounds. This is quite good and a roughly 10 pound spread is balanced enough as the proof is in the playing.

String-To-String Consistancy: For both tone and volume is excellent & exceedingly well balanced! Most certianly among the very best, if not the best that I've ever played. Folks, this is high praise indeed, as I am damned persnickety.

Tone: Clear & Well Defined Top-To-Bottom.

The taper wound E string is pure unadulterated magic! I don't think I've ever heard a better sounding roundwound E. The extreme clarity & definition of the open E is astounding. Here we have a nice thick full well defined bottom with a deep clear growl unmatched by any other stringset. As much as I loved the taper wound E's of Fender's 8250M, and D'Addario's EXL-170BT sets, I am easily convinced the GHS is the best.

The midrange is very solid beefy/meaty with good low-mid growl, and plenty snarl in the high-mids. Excellent even well defined/focused tone throughout. No mud or honk to be found here.

Highs for days! Smooth & Soaring, but never harsh or overbearing. Has good bark & bite when picked. Plenty of spank when popped.

Feel & Playability: I like the feel of the nickel-iron alloy wrap. I can't tell any difference from nickel plated stainless, which I also like. String-to-string feel is very even, and you don't really feel any differences in tension. Takes more effort to bend than the D'Addario Balanced Tension, but overall the playability is still quite excellent, and among the very best.

Overview: I think you can tell I really like this stringset and am damn glad to have them on my Fender Jazz bass. They sound absolutely fabulous, and this may well become my roundound set of choice just as GHS Precision Flats have become my flat of choice. I will come back with updates each month until I post the obituary.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    BassistDale and Jon Moody like this.
  2. fetch

fetch

Jan 10, 2014
    Virginia
    Great review. Adding them to my list of strings to try. Thanks Linnin!

Linnin likes this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Thanks fetch! I put about 15 hours on this set playing them in and enjoying them before I wrote the review. They had great tone straight out of the pack, and played in very quickly.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    These are the same as the old 'Rene Martinez Taper Core' strings, so you may have already tried them in the past :)

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    More or less; same initial guide, but we adjusted a couple things here and there.

Calling them "taper core" I thought was like calling our Progressives "contact core," where only the E and B on both sets is really tapered/exposed. They're an awesome string that needed a different marketing push on it, focusing more on some of the bigger benefits of the strings over just what makes the E and B special.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I don't care if you call them 'Moon Pies'. They'd still sound great! :woot:

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    A few additional observations after about 20 hours of play. This stringset played in very quickly, and holds tune quite well. While the psycho-acoustics of what constitutes 'good tone' is very personal & subjective, would I still think Big Core's tone is thick & beefy if it were called GHS Gluten Free? Yes, I'm sure I would. In fact one of the unique tone qualities I've come to appreciate is an underlying darkness that is very much akin to GHS Precision Flats. Indeed the string tension between the two sets is close with the flats being a bit higher. I've found the feel between the two to be remarkably simular (discounting of course the obvious difference between the rough round and smooth flat). It makes it very easy for me to switch from my Jazz w/rounds to my Precision w/flats. Simular feel & tension. Nearly identical setup. So string hight & playability are very much the same for an almost effortless transition. A most serendipitous epiphany!

8. If I can find them here in Europe, I'll deffo try them when I'm out of my sets of strings (bought bulk D'addario RW's a while ago). If they're good they stay and I use the Holy GHS Trinity: GHS P Flats on the P, these rounds will be going on the J, and boomers on the Strat. :D (Endorsement? :p)

Are these rounds stiff and longlasting (no innuendo intended)? That's what I'm looking for in a round.

Linnin likes this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I'll be reporting on how long they live. They are much more ridgid and erect in tension & feel. Not floppy like round core rounds. They are much closer to GHS Precision Flats. They're an easy lover. Twins you can take to your tone bed, baby. Yeah :cool:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  10. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    You should have no problem finding them in Europe. We shipped a TON of them over to our distributor over there, so you should be able to get them fairly easily, I would think.

I have found that, for me, any of our nickel-iron strings (Progressives, Big Core, Pressurewound, Brite Flats) last a very long time, compared to nickel-plated or even steels.

11. A lot of stores in my region don't carry GHS except if you order them specifically (they mostly stock only some sets of Boomers and maybe 1 or 2 sets of P Flats). I DID found them @musicstore though, mass supllier for musicians in the region Benelux, Germany, Denmark! I just never looked for them, excuse my ignorance. :D

Are these strings fairly new?

12. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Yeah, they made their debut at Bass Player LIVE! in November, and then at NAMM.

13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Here's my first monthly update. I love these strings! :woot: I've been playing them a lot and have about 50 hours on them. The very highest highs have attenuated, but are still plenty bright & lively. The Big Beefy Bottom and Meaty Mids remain strong and focused. I am really liking the nickel-iron alloy wrap. That plus the heavier hex core presents a very strong magnetic field that my pickups love. The E string remains impressively well defined with mud free low end clarity. So Far - So Good. :D Stay Tuned! :bassist:

14. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I have had a pack in my drawer for a while now. Waiting for one of my strings to die to try them.

15. ducdungt

ducdungt

Aug 22, 2012
    I just had them installed in my Ibanez rd707. They sound great
    After few weeks, I even like them more.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    Linnin likes this.
  16. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Anybody in Canada tried these strings yet? I find it difficult to find some of the strings that some of you folk talk about here on talkbass... Toronto music stores don't seem to carry a hugely varied stock of bass strings and these seem like they'd be right up my alley.

17. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    bassstringsonline.com

18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Give GHS a call and order direct. They have a direct sales link on their website, but I do not know if they will accept foreign transactions.

19. heavymetal0061

heavymetal0061

May 12, 2014
    MICHIGAN
    find my band "MINGUS" on Facebook.... Hardcore Punk done right!! Old school
    Nice!

Linnin likes this.
  20. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    www.bassstringsonline.com for sure

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021