Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lefty, Dec 28, 2004.

1. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    i wan`t to build a rack system what`s a good pre amp to get. i play all kinds of music so i`m looking for a good all around rig. thanx doug

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if i has a dime for every time this question gets asked.
    1. Do a search
    2. go to www.basstasters.com to hear a bunch of different preamps
    3. go try a bunch with your bass, your amp or poweramp, and your cabinet(s)

It depends upon your budget too. Cheaper good preamps incluse both the solid state and tube BBE B-max preamps, and the sans amp RBI. Good discontinues ones to look out for used are the swr grand prix, demeter "blackface' 1 and 1/2 space VTBP-201, and trace elliot v-type. More expensive ones available both new and used include the alembic f-1x, demeter 201s and HBP1 pre's, aguilar 680 and 659 pres, kern, read purity, eden navigator, and a bunch of others.

FWIW, i would decide upon how much your budget is (you can spend anywhere from $150-$2000+). then check out preamps based upon their flat tone more than all the bells and whistles available on them. The consistent favorites of most players are very simple preamps with few controls and mondo tone.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Gotta agree with Ivan: the simple ones are the best. I own a Demeter 210, an Aguilar DB 659 and an Alembic F1-X. All three of them are great preamps but they all sound different. The F1-X may well be the last preamp I'll ever need. Love that tone.

The F1-X is very warm and clean. Very old-Fender but cleaner.

The DB 659 I'll refer to as hi-tech Ampeg.

The Demeter is like the Alembic but to my ears, brighter or maybe I should say more hi-fi.