pre/power setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockapede, Aug 31, 2004.

1. I need some help choosing a new rig...I currently have a Fender Bassman 100 that i like, but for the louder rock band i play in it's not quite loud enough (obviously). I have a couple of options:

Traynor yba200, Avatar 2x12

BBE BMAX pre, QSC RMX 1450, same cab

Both will cost me around $900-1000, my question is which one. I think I can get a good tone out of both, so my main concerns are volume and flexibility...I'm leaning toward the pre/power setup but would like to get some other opinions. Also, with the pre/power setup should I get one 4 ohm cab or an 8 ohm cab with plans to add another down the road (from a volume standpoint). Sorry this is so long.

2. well first of all the pre/power is the best possible way to go! PERIOD

get the avatar 2x12 in 4ohms beacuse you will not need another cab that would be it for you.

i would probably get the 1450 like you want or teh 850, the 1450 would be overpowering it to the specs at, but either way that is a great setup, and in the future if you want a better,LOUDER, cab just get the schroeder 410 or 21012.
  3. Thanks for the advice. Actually looking at the specs of that cab, I could just go with the 8 ohm cab, bridge the 1450 (900 watts, 8 ohms), and still be under the 1000 watt limit. This is probably a stupid question, but would there really be a noticeable difference in volume, because there is no way to try the whole setup before I by it, so I want to make sure it's gonna be loud enough.

4. there is no 1000 watt limit the more watts you have= the better tone sound and cleaness you can get out of those speakers, dude get the cab in 4ohms

1400 watts in to a 1400 cab
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Actually I would get the 8ohm cab. Not because 1400W is too much for that cab.... its actually fine... but you'd have more flexibility with a 2-cab setup.

I would recommend getting an 8ohm B212. And when more money comes along, add a B210, B115H or SB112 to it. This way, you can have a smaller cab for occaisions that dont call for a major cab. I'd recommend the B210... because it would be able to handle the RMX's 900W @ 8ohms Bridged(700W cab I think).... while still being an easier transportation option.

It's your choice though, if you think it would be worth the convenience.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the 8 ohm cab is a much more flexible cabinet, and bridging a poweramp into it with that many watts you won't notice a big volume increase with a 4 ohm cab - in fact, that volume increase might happen right around the point where you fry the speaker :eek: