1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp design needs assistance

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mojomadness, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mojomadness

mojomadness

Apr 19, 2011
    Hi guys, sorry if this ends up being a repost, I was logged out as I tried to submit an earlier post on this topic :meh:

So I am attempting to construct my own pickups and electronics for a new project I'm starting. This is more of a learning experience than anything else and I'm really looking forward to getting started.

I am however stuck on the preamp design. My inspiration for this project is the Wal pickup and preamp system (I'm not trying to cop a Wal tone, just inspired by the design). So I envision 2 humbuckers, each with individual buffers leading to individual low pass filters, followed by a blend, a final buffer and a master volume before output.

Now...I have very little experience with active electronics, so I guess the first question is, is this even a practical design? If not, what suggestions are there for something to achieve this?

In terms of circuitry, I'm pretty familiar with FET buffers, so would they be suitable to this application? I also have a schematic for a FET buffered blend...would this eliminate the need for the final buffer (if it is even needed)?

As for the low pass filters, could I not simply wire passive tone controls? But how do the react with buffered circuits?

I'm sure for those experienced these are stupid questions, but I'm after as much experience from this as possible, and I love DIY'ing my own gear, so nothing negative can come from this experience.

Hope you guys can help!

Cheers :bassist: