Preamp for condenser mic?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jay Corwin, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm planning on trying a clip on condenser mic. The preamp ive been using is a tech 21 sansamp BDDI. It works well with piezos into a bass amp.

I plan on getting a phantom supply to run the mic straight into my amp just in case the sansamp doesn't sound good.

My rig is a Genz Benz shuttle 3.0 with the extension cabinet, so its pretty clean.

I also have an fdeck pre.

Let me know what you think.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Why not find a mic that has a BIAS supply that is battery powered rather than mess with phantom power. Since there is no place in your signal path that is balanced, there is no convenient way to get phantom power to a mic BUT there are a wide range of mics that are built to be used with wireless mic transmitters that use a simple single battery bias supply that would be a much better choice IMO.

Something like an Audio Technica ATM-35 or 350 would be an excellent choice IMO. Get it in the wired version with the bias battery pack. You may need an XLR(F) to 1/4"(M) connector to get into your amp (pin 3 will need to connect with pin 1 inside the XLR connector on the adapter). This plus the fdeck's pre (you will need about 9dB of gain) should work pretty well but you need to try it out to see if you have enough gain range on your amp.

If you need more help with this, you can always PM me.

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Works great for me.

4. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    works great with what?

5. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    For those of you interested Ive finally arrived at a setup I'm happy with for now. My amplified chain runs like this now:

ATM pro35 > ART mic preamp > Genz Benz mini stack.

I still have a bassmax just in case I fall into a high volume gig, but for now my amplified bass sounds like my bass.

2012-01-27 20.06.22-1.jpg

6. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Oh and I forgot - went with the high tech mount. Roughly 2 bucks for a husky spring clamp from the depot on my way home from dinner.

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
  8. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    The pro35 DOES require phantom power. The inline power module that comes with just biases the phantom voltage to whatever optimum is, but it also has a high pass filter switch on it that makes it nice for UB.

The preamp I'm using has a 20db gain switch which gives me a nice hot signal, hus allowing me to have to use very little preamp gain on my amp.

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    No, the Pro 35 does NOT require phantom (at least the version I recommended) and it also has the switched HPF built into the power module. The Pro 35 requires only a couple of volts of bias to work properly. Look inside the power module, there's room for batteries. It will ALSO allow you to use phantom power IF YOU WISH, but it's not necessary for proper operation.

I am posting this information for other folks who may wish to go this route. You will need to test with your particular amp because there are a few amps that do not have adequate preamp gain. Most have enough. When using an external preamp, you run the risk of overdriving the input of the bass amp's preamp if it's capable of a MOL > ~3 volts RMS. Most preamps are, so beware.

10. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Not that I want to get into a debate here, but someone posted the question about whether or not the pro35 requires phantom power right on the Q & A section of the manufacturers website. Their answer was yes, it does require an external power supply. Its at the bottom of the link you posted. I'm just going off of what I read, and how I'm using it.

I received no manufacturer documentation with mine that said batteries could be installed in the power module. It doesn't look large enough to fit more than a double A.

I'm curious now though. Could you post some info links on this, because I can't find any via AT's website.

Here is another link to just the power module that again states that it requires external phantom power in the Q &A. It also gives the description I spoke about above.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/electronics/106ef905e9296f3a/index.html

11. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    BTW - disagreements set aside, I love my shuttle 3.0 combo. I hope you aren't telling me I'm gonna fry the input on it how I'm using it! : )

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    This is the power module that we recommend with the ATM-35, it takes AA batteries, has a HPF, and is the defacto standard for pro applications where phantom power is not present. There are some variations regarding HPF applications but is a commonly available product in pro audio applications.

Also, some applications are wired pin 3 to sleeve and pin 2 to tip, pin 1 is not used. The output IIRC is transformer coupled.

Audio-Technica - Products - Other - Electronics - AT8531

13. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Ahhh OK. Thanks fir clarifying. A different power module comes stock with the pro35 I bought. Hence the disagreement.

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I now see that you listed the prepackaged module that is phantom only. Generally I sugggest that you buy the mic w/ TA3F seperately and the power module seperately. Since I handle AT as a pro audio contractor product line, I have access to everything individually along with the engineering data so I can make these decisions for our customers based on specific needs. We can also modify things that are almost right to fit an application. The ATM-35 is a killer mic for bass, cello, viola, etc, but can run you over if you aren't aware of it's potential.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021