Preamp for NS Design?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by astrogarage, Feb 24, 2006.

1. has anyone experience of using a Fishman PRO-EQ II with an NS EUB? (i've got a CRM4). i need to get a preamp for my nasty old doghouse with fishman p/u and wondered whether it could have a dual purpose in sweetening up my EUB tone...
  2. Astro -- I agree about needing a preamp like the Fishman to smooth out an Underwood pickup on an acoustic DB, but with the NS CR4, I'm not sure you'll really need one. What type of amplifier are you runinng through? I've found that between the tone controls on my NS CR4, and the EQ controls on my amp (a Gallien Krueger MB150S), I can pretty much get the sound I want.
  3. hi john

well, i'm usually running straight through the desk at gigs(occasionally through a roland cube, which isn't ideal i know). i know the tone controls are pretty powerful on the ns but i did read in one of the other threads that someone was using a preamp with one so assumed there might be a benefit. guess i should just try it out...
  4. depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    The pre-amp on NS basses are indeed pretty much powerful and versatile. I don't think you'll need another one on your signal chain.
    I got nice results with the Avalon U5 but using it more like a DI than a pre-amp.
  5. If you try it, let us know what you think.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - I tried a preamp with my NSCR5 - but basically it does nothing and the internal preamp uses two batteries, provides a pretty hot output.

What I really like about the NS basses is that they are "plug and play" - just plug into a decent amp and go! :)

Whereas amplifying a real DB is far more fiddly and problematic....?
  7. mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    The only external device I use after 1yr+ with my NS CR4 is a(n) Aphex Punch Factory; a stompbox compressor. In fact, this cool little unit allows me to compress my signal to the amp and send a dry output to the house. I do however crank the gain a bit on the comp, but only to give myself a little more headroom at the intrument itself so's I never have to touch the amp. Helps to control overall dynamics better as well. No engineer has complained yet..out loud, anyway..