1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hevy T, May 16, 2011.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Can I install a preamp in my Squier VM Jazz while still using the stock Duncan Designed pups?

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    As long as there's room in the cavity, I don't see why not.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Absolutely. The vast majority of active basses are passive pups with active 2-3 band preamp added. The few duncan designed bass pups Ive heard had nice crunchy tone. Which to me makes it a good condidate for preamp add. Since good sounding pasives sound even better with preamp added to replace the tone control. Btw if you get 2band stacked preamp pot it simply replaces the exisiting tone control. Then you also replace the output jack. And your done except for plugging in battery. In basses Ive added preamp Ive used foam to help hold battery and prevent it from wandering around within the control cavity. Since you have top load (gotta take off pickgaurd to get to controls. Id be real tempted to cut the pickgaurd so you can lift out just the section with controls attached rather then haveing to unscrew and lift out the whole pickgaurd.