Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp swap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dunamis, Sep 1, 2005.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    For those of you who are handy with a soldering iron...

Last weekend I replaced the onboard pre in one of my favorite basses. Out with the old (EMG BTS), in with the new (Aguilar OBP-1)!

I have another bass with the OBP-1 but it has single-coil passive pups-- this one has active EMG's.

The verdict: Is it possible to have too much growl? The thing is amazing! :bassist:

I've always loved the OBP-1 and band mates told me that the bass with the Aggie had a stronger, heavier tone, so I thought I'd give it a try with the EMG pup's.

Has anyone else tried this combination or something similar? What were your results like?

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Is this your Landing?

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

Yes it is! You have good memory!

I don't have a good pic of it but it's on Jimmy's site here:

http://www.landingbass.com/L332.html

I love this bass because it weighs less than 7 1/2 lbs and has one of the best necks I've played. Things I didn't like were the preamp (love it now!) and the pickguard, which was standard strat guard with a cut out for a g*itar bridge. Jimmy, being the great guy that he is, replaced that pickguard with the one you see in the picture (for free!). With OBP-1, it's my favorite again.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Cool. Looks much better without the 'notched' PG. I'm a fan of the OBP1 too.
    If you've read any of my other posts on the subject, you'll know I'm a big short/medium scale bass fan and I looked hard at the Landings, but since the prices went up I'm looking at alternatives.

Out of curiousity, which EMGs are in it? I presume they're Strats, but which model?

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Yes, IIRC you've got a nice collection of short and medium scales. I am partial to 32". Besides the Landing, the other 32" I have is a Lake Placid Blue MIM Stu Hamm Standard J Bass with some modifications (Gotoh bridge, Schaller tuners, Fender Noiseless J pups, Aguilar OBP-1, and a custom made white pearloid pg).

I'm not 100% sure about the EMG pups in the Landing. They look like the 'S' pickups but the Landing site indicates that they're custom wound. Whatever they are, they sound pretty good with the OBP-1! I'm surprised at the major improvement over the BTS system.