Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hondo8671, Sep 6, 2004.

1. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    whats a good (econo) preamp to start with? :cool:

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What type of tone do you want? Tube? Heavy tube od? Clean? etc

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    While it has no tone shaping options (low, mid, high-) you can get by with an ART tube mic preamp (used $40.00.) A Sansamp BDDI can be used by itself (used $ 125.00-135.00.) but you won't have as much head room. Sansamp rack mounted versions can be had for around $200.00 used

4. Sansamp RBI

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Tech 21 RBI if you want a clear hifi sansamp tone

or

tech21 RPM if you want a darker tone with crazy overdrive and mid-sweep control

BOTH ARE GREAT SOUNDING ECONO UNITS IMHO

I own both!!!

6. BBE BMax, sounds great, can be found for well under $250 at places like Northern Sound and Light (www.northernsound.net) and Rik's Music.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sansamp? aren't they modelers/effect units?

I use a Yamaha PB-1 from the 80's... great tone, warm and round. Very Alembic like (others have said, I've never tried an Alembic pre).

there is one for sale in the classifieds section for $125

8. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Do you mean a pedal or outboard pre that will be feeding a bass head? Or do you mean a rack mount type that will feed a power amp? There are several of each type, and each one has it's own flavor. It depends on what you mean by "Econo" and what kind of sound you are looking for. I suggest giving basstasters.com a listen. Hopefully that will narrow the field down for you.

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you're talking rack mounted preamp-i'd say a SansAmp RBI/RPM, or a BBE Bass Max [solid state]. Those to my knowledge go for about $300 new, yet can be had for less used [check the boards here-this is where i've bought my 2 preamps].

If you're talking outboard pedal style-the sansamp unit has received good words. Also-depending on price limits [econo-doesn't really tell us much, a max price would be a benefit].

Onboard pres-i've only had experience w/the stock EB MM Ray5 circuit and the SD MM5 circuit. I like them both, yet i would like to try some other pres in another format.

That's all