1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamps: Aguilar vs East vs ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brianh, Apr 3, 2013.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I'm looking for a preamp to put in my jazz bass and not sure what to try. My main basses have Suhr preamps, but it appears I can't order one for this bass and I'm looking for something similar. Only looking for a 2-band. How does the East pre compare to the Aguilar?

Thanks!

2. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    I Don't have experience with Jhon East preamps, but i can tell you for sure that Aguilar is one of the best in the market, by the way days ago i installed one in a Mexican Made Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe, and the result is just great!

PawleeP likes this.
  3. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    how about sadowsky?

I might be looking for one if i don't like the one that comes with my new bass.

JE is quite costly, so aguilar and sadowsky seems quite nice on the pocket

4. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I own both of these preamps. The John East is expensive but it has 2 distinct features most preamps don't. It has sweepable mids, and a bright function. Lot's of flexibility there, I think its the best pre on the market. I've owned 3 of the models he offers, I've loved all of them.

The aguilar is also a nice pre, I find it to be less transparent than the east but I like that. You can configure the modules a ton of different ways. The mids can be selectable, the bass boost is strong. You can get extreme with it but I like the the fact a little goes along way.

I had a sadowsky metro with the VTC. The pre is great, I like it with their single coils. Sadowsky has their sound, if u like it, get the pre and pups.The VTC gives u a lot of tonal options.

If your only looking for a 2 band in a jazz bass I would probably do the aguilar.

5. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Thanks guys. Am leaning towards the Aguilar 2 band, as I have no desire for a 3 band.

6. trbostic

trbostic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    I put a pope pre in my jazz bass and look the sound of it. It can be ran at up to 4 bands of eq but much like you I prefer two. So I have volume an tone stack, balance,treble, bass. Good luck with whatever u choose

7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    They're both good choices, but if you're looking for a two-band, I'd recommend the John East BTB-01. Bass is boost-only (which I love), treble is boost/cut (with a lower freq for cut than boost, which I love) and pull-for-bright (which I love). Price is comparable to the Aguilar, and installation is a breeze!

PawleeP likes this.
  8. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    How would you say the East compares to wise to an Aguilar? I'm coming from a Suhr, which is more 'Fender' soudinging than say, a Sadowsky.

9. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    East sounds great on a J bass! Aguilar and Sadowsky are excellent, too!

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Aguilar > East. I have OBP-3s in two basses (Drozd and LeCompte) and an East J-Retro in another (Lakland JO5). While the East has a lot of versatility due to its semi-parametric mid control, I prefer the overall sound of the Aguilar. However, I like the Pope Flex Core over both of them. Sadowsky makes a mighty fine preamp too, but I'm a 3-band guy and theirs is 2-band.

11. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    or...Audere?..

Certainly the easiest preamp to put into a jazz bass

12. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Actually East, Sadowsky, and several other makers all have drop in retrofits for J basses these days.

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yes indeed. When I was shopping for an aftermarket Jazz plate preamp for my Carvin SB5000 J-style bass, I narrowed it down to John East & Audere. I chose the Audere JZ6D - and have no regrets whatsoever.

It's a 3-band preamp with pickup balance control. I would characterize its basic voice as toward the transparent end of the continuum - but with a ton of tones, thanks to the 6-position "Z" mode switch.

Audere offers Jazz plates in several configurations, however, including basic 2-band. Not only are they a breeze to install, but they're surprisingly easy on the wallet as well. A great product! :cool:

MM

14. I dropped an Audere JZ3 in my Jazz V and love it, but it was a close call between that and an East preamp. In the end, the Z-mode switch (which is an awesome "secret sauce!") and better price of the Audere won out. I'd still like to try an East, but that's for another day in another bass. ;)

I had an Aggie ODB-3 in another bass for a while, and while I thought it was a good preamp, I like the JZ3 much better. There are a couple different 2-band Audere layouts to choose from. Another note if it matters to you: Switching pickups with the Audere is a breeze... It has screw in connectors. :)

5sg.

15. c_mike

c_mike

Dec 6, 2009
    Glockenklang Onboard preamp 2-band

16. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't know how you'd ever find one, but the Moon Blackbird drop-in pre has been going strong in my J for over 15 years. ...very smooth and transparent, and sips power. If you locate one, just grab it!

17. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    A student of mine pulled the Aguilar out of a bass he bought in favor of the Audere. He regretted it. I have had experience with East Aguilar Bartolini Sadowsky and many others. I was actually disappointed with the the Audere in his bass. I was excited to try the Z-mode switch, but in the end wasn't impressed. To each his own, if you love it great, but I personally like the East Aguilar and Sadowsky preamps, depending on the bass and the pickups. The East or Sadowsky is great on a J bass. I think the Aguilar may be better suited to other pickup configs like J/MM or soaps. That's just my opinion though, so take it or leave it.

18. That's the beauty of bass gear... We don't all have to agree because there's so much good stuff out there. It's a pretty good time to be a bassist. :bassist:

5sg.

19. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    East - Lots of coloration (high and low freq boost) when preamp is engaged, very "hifi" tone, very versatile, mid freq sweep is unique, bass freq is boost only, on bypass mode you have only the volume knob working and bridge or both pickups selection only. Definitely not a purist preamp dedicated.

Aguilar - Lots of boost/cut, very aggressive preamp, allows multiple configuration possibilities, nice voicing.

Audere - Very transparent, beautifully voiced, very versatile, no bypass mode, Hi and Lo Z modes are quite unusable in my experience.

20. Exactly why I went with the Audere first.

The East is for the next Jazz bass. :D

5sg.

PawleeP likes this.