1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision Bass Project, help needed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Morson93, May 10, 2010.

1. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    I have just bought a squier vintage modified precision bass with duncan designed p pickup, finished in white, black scratchplate. £100

I want to change most parts on this to get a good punk tone, but i'm a little stuck.

Neck
    I don't know anything about necks really, so i was wondering what i should do about it?
    The frets are worn, but i think i could still get some use out of them, but i want to replace the neck for a maple neck anyway, simply because i think it looks better. Should i buy a fender neck 2nd hand or are there any brands that immediately spring to mind where i could get one just as good.

Pickups
    The only pickups i have looked at are Seymour Duncan Quarte Pounders, and i like the sound of them from what i've heard, but are there any other pickups that people have prehaps had experience with in the punk genre?

Bridge
    Is it worth replacing? i was thinking of drilling and reaming 4 holes and making it a string thru, but is this really worth it? Where could I get a good fender bridge from?

Tuners
    What tuners should i get? ones that people can recommend and will stay in tune?

I want to get the bass sounding awesome, i would like to use for gigging and recording also. I plan on buying more basses when i have a job, but for now, i want to get this as my primary bass.

Thanks people
    Morson

2. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Hey Morson, those VM basses are pretty darn good out of the box. Perhaps instead of replacing everything indiscriminately you should look for things that NEED to be replaced or could be improved. For example, why replace the tuners? Is there something wrong with them? Do they go out of tune more than you would expect? What are you trying to gain by replacing them? I have a VM Jazz, never had a problem with the tuners, I wouldn't spend time or money to replace them.

Now, if it were me, I would replace the bridge with a Gotoh 201 or other high mass bridge, I wouldn't bother drilling holes through the body.
    I would put some strap locks on it so you don't drop it.
    The pickups sound pretty good to me, think twice before replacing unless you want to make it active or something.

The neck is pretty nice as well, now if yours is twisted or something, or since you like maple better, you could swap it out.
    I have experience with Allparts and Mighty Mite. The allparts neck was finished very very well, had a nice light balance, but was very expensive (I'd say MIJ or MIA equivalent). The mighty mite was a satin finish, has a nice feel, not quite as high quality, came with a nut installed but not a great one, but was about half the price (MIM equivalent I'd say). If I had it to do again, I'd say I got more bang for my buck with mighty mite, but your results may vary.
    I also did a bass with a used p-bass neck from craigslist once and my advice is not to buy a used neck sight unseen. The thing was twisted and heavy as a car engine, it was unusable.

3. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    The tuners are ok, i will probably reuse them, but i want one of those drop D tuners, do you know if they come in the vintage fender style? i don't like the look of the gotoh, i like the classic fender looking bridges, and i want the best one. Mighty mite necks seem nice, i'll have a thorugh look when i'm more awake, i've already ordered some strap locks, it's kindof a rule for all my guitars/basses.

4. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    This is exactly my point. It's a flat piece of metal bent at a 90 degree angle, how is one going to be "better" than another?

Hipshot D-tuners are available in many styles so that you can match the rest of the tuners on your bass without having to replace them all. Look closely at the pictures, there isn't just one "vintage style fender" tuner, there are like 7 to 10 slightly different varieties so make sure you get the right one unless you want to be drilling new holes.

5. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    would a classic string thru fender bridge be better than a top loaded fender bridge?

6. If the neck is really worn , its not worth refretting one of those fet a mightymite neck in maple. Seeing as how you used the pound sign your not in the states, but here i can get one for 98$ with free shipping off ebay.

7. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Depends on who you ask. I know there's a lot of people out there who say they can hear the difference and talk about how the "string feel" is different.
    As for me, I can't tell the difference and I say if it aint broke, don't fix it.

8. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I never strung my MIA P bass through the body. Well, I tried it once, but the bass just seemed off being strung through the body. Different strokes for different folks.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Keep the pickups, they work perfectly for punk tones, IMO, thats why I dont play my VM. ;)

10. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I used this bass stock in a punk band, it was great out of the box. IMO I would put the gotoh 201 bridge on it, leave the tuners and PUPs which are really great already as they are Seymour Duncan. Buy a bridge cover to hide the gotoh if you don't like the look of it because that bridge and nickel super bright strings will make it so punchy lol

Serious the name is squier but its about as good or better then MIM fenders. Don't ruin it by making it something it's not.

11. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    May i ask, whats this supposed to mean? i don't care if it's squier, i just wanted a new neck cause this one won't be lasting much longer, i was going to upgrade other things but now i don't think i will, although i may invest in a hipshot drop D tuner and a gotoh 201

12. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    question, does the badass 2 and the gotoh 201 just drop straight in?

13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    You are talking about buying a bass and replacing everything except the body. I don't get it, honestly. Unless, of course, you are just doing it for the fun of trading parts around. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you are hoping to get the perfect sounding bass by just trading parts around, it's not likely to work out IMO.

You say you want to change most parts on this to get a good punk tone, but I think that the Squier should already be an excellent bass for punk. The Squier is just what you are looking for as is, IMO.

14. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Definitely swap the pickups. I suggest those Duncan Quarter Pounds. It will make a difference.

As for the bridge, I put a Bad Ass 2 bridge on my jazz project. I don't notice any tonal differences or anything...its weight just adds for "oomph" to the bass in my opinion.

If you feel like you want to change tuners...I suggest hipshot.
    But its always nice to have really nice hardware in my opinion.

I'm also looking for an all maple P-bass neck. Doing so will brighten your tone a little bit. and its a denser wood than rosewood so it will be heavier.

But I'm in your boat..on my Jazz project I've swapped everything except for the body. (Which I'm refinishing) XD