1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision or Jazz, that is the question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drjohn6oy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. drjohn6oy

drjohn6oy

Sep 28, 2013
    Hiya everyone. I'm contemplating a new Bass, depending on next months wages that is. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Precision Bass, although every time I get to the point of purchase somebody says, why are you getting a precision when you can get a Jazz. Very annoying! I understand that the question is limited and it's mainly down to personal preference, but what are the main differences? Also, has anyone had any experience with a Fender Jaguar Bass, I'm told they're s'posed to be pretty incredible?
    Thanks Guys

2. bmason81

bmason81

Jul 7, 2010
    I was a Jazz player for about ten years, just bought a Precision bass, love the tone and the wider nut. Dont think I will ever go back to the jazz

3. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    P-bass for me, always.

they look cooler, sound better, feel better. etc.

TO ME, at least.

lots of people dig J-basses because of the smaller neck profile, but P-basses are SUPER comfrotable, and I have small hands.

I have a J-bass, and it gets played barely ever.

my P-basses get all my love. they're perfect.

to the point that I didn't even list the J-bass or T-bird on my gear page; I never play them.

whether recording or live, whether it's my $250 VM Squier or the $1100 AVRI, it's almost always a P-bass.

4. Hi, get a PJ! Best of both worlds. :bassist:

5. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    If you get a Jazz, you will always wonder about a P until you buy one, and then may never return to a Jazz!

However, if you get a P, you will always wonder about a Jazz, until you get one, and then you will probably return to the P sooner or later! ;)

(ps: I have more Jazz necked basses than P's)

6. What type of stuff do you plan to play? That is the question.

7. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    wow.

quoted for absolute truth.

8. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Both, gotta be both. I don't care what level you're at- if you intend on being a bass player you HAVE TO have a P bass in your arsenal. Even if you never use it. I cannot tell you how many times I've gotten a call and they're like, "You got a p-bass?" YUP!!

9. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    That is the ONLY question...

I bought my jazz back in the seventies... still play it.

Bought my first P bass in 2008, wish I'd got one sooner. I've two now. I love em.

I still only gig my Jazz however.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Both are great. You can't go wrong with either one. I have both and love them both. One isn't better than the other. It all gets down to which sound you prefer and which neck is most comfortable.

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Like others have said..can't choose?....get both.

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I own both. I like the fullness of the P but like the neck on the J better. I also find the J to give me more tonal options.

13. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Depends what tone your after and what feels right to you in your hands. I disovered in a round about way after yrs of playing bass that the bass tone that was in my head is a classic P bass tone. Now i own a P for a couple of yrs i've tried out quite a few Jazz's thinking i should get one, but they never have the tone i like, plus the body shape and neck of the P just feel right to me.
    Jazz's always sound too scooped or too honky to me (although it may be i need to spend more time playing around to get a tone i like)

For me nothing beats the tone of a P when you dig in with a pick or fingers. Brings a smile to my face evry time i gig it.

14. Neither/other

15. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    I would pick a Jazz over a P, but I'm probably in the minority.

16. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    All depends what feels best in your hands and sounds best to your ears. I own both and play both, but like the majority here I spend more time with the P than the J. But give both a try and see which you like best!!

17. My preference is for the P, but that's just my taste. I am also of the ''If you can, get both" brigade.

18. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    It doesn't matter what everybody else thinks. Play both as much as you can before you buy and decide for yourself.

19. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Play both blindfolded and see which one feels better?? Worth a shot!

20. pinz

pinz

Jun 14, 2010
    NZ
    I have played in a rock covers band for over 20 years,and used a couple of Fender Jazz basses (MIM then MIA) for almost all that time with great results and no complaints.
    But I scored a MIJ P bass (70's Series) nearly 2 years ago and never gig the Jazz's any more for 2 reasons,

1.I love the P Bass better,the feel and tone is killer.
    2.The band loves the P Bass better sound wise in the mix.

I have also just picked up a Squier P Bass special (J&P pups) which after a few upgrades I hope might get a similar reaction from the band as the P Bass has.