Premature NBD: Stagg 24 fret short scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Volker Kirstein, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Oops, I did it again...

I saw this girl pop up for €10, so naturally I jumped hard and fast. I go pick it up tomorrow evening, and will post more detailed photos then.

IMG_20190707_204916.jpg

B-Mac likes this.
  2. Volker Kirstein

Well! She's in much better shape than I expected. When I plugged her in, she output bass like sounds that varied in tone and volume when I turned the knobs, so she's functional. The 3 strings that were on her were pretty grungy, so I tossed 'em. The neck seems straight, but the fretboard is dirty. Fret work is indicated. The heads feel vague, we'll see how they hold up when I restring. The bridge seems solid, and is not a bent plate.

But first, a thorough cleaning and oiling!
    IMG_20190708_221150.jpg IMG_20190708_220751.jpg IMG_20190708_222100.jpg IMG_20190708_221307.jpg

B-Mac likes this.
  3. Volker Kirstein

OK. So I scrubbed her up a bit, and restrung her with a fresh set of Fender 7150L. During that process, one of the Stagg tuners snapped its retainer ring. I only have chrome Klusons laying about, and they're all left, so I bolted it in upside down. I also popped a chrome knob on the knobless pot.

She plays OK, but neck and bridge adjustments still need to be made. I also discovered scratchiness in the tone pot, but one of the JBass wiring harnesses I have laying about should take care of that.
    IMG_20190710_192153.jpg
    IMG_20190710_193029.jpg
    IMG_20190710_192223.jpg

B-Mac likes this.
  4. Volker Kirstein

Today I adjusted the neck. It looks like like no one has done that before.

I double checked the intonation, and also lowered the action as far as it'll go: the barrels are resting on the plate. She plays so much better when I don't have to wrestle the strings to the fretboard.

IMG_20190711_144643.jpg
    IMG_20190711_151657.jpg

B-Mac and jackn1202 like this.
  5. Volker Kirstein

I had originally thought to "get to this one" after I finished my other projects, which I already have parts for/on the way. I was inspired by another thread (thank you @TheMaartian) to bump it up a few places.
    bass yellow ibanez sr300b.jpg
    Obviousy I've only got 3 knobs instead of 5, and I'll have to get a new set of black tuners, either Gotoh GB707B or Der Jung DJ342B. I've already got the paint lined up.

B-Mac and TheMaartian like this.
  6. Volker Kirstein

I've decided that I'm never going to get around to refinishing it. Nor do I play it, as it pales in comparison to all my other shortys. I've put new tuners on it, and fresh strings, way back when. Besides, the minor string splay at the headstock irritates me.

I listed it at €75 OBO! :roflmao: I'll take €50 in a heartbeat.
    (I don't think I'm being unreasonable, it was in pretty rough shape when I got it)
    bass stagg 1.jpg
    bass stagg 2.jpg

B-Mac and canuckshort like this.
  7. Volker Kirstein

:hyper: Sold! For €80, which breaks down to €55 + €25 shipping.
    (I did mention €25 shipping in the ad)

B-Mac likes this.
  8. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Reminds me of a Dean Edge 1

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  9. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Good going!
    You made an entry level neglected bass much more playable for whomever bought it.:thumbsup:
    Bravo!;)

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021