1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Premium SR5 HH!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm so glad I did not get that Bongo! A local dealer got a super sweet SR5 HH with a beautiful see through red/pink finish and a maple fingerboard. It is easily one of the best looking basses I have ever seen. It also has a great pearloid pickguard too. The bass is simply spectacular! As I and others have said before, Ernie Ball Music Man must be the highest quality mass produced bass available, at least in the USA.

What really blew me away about the new SR5 is that is apparently has it coil splitting capability like its single pup sibling. The selector switch is 5 position and some of the setting clearly yielded single coil tones like neck pup single coil, both pups single, bridge pup solo and so on. This bass can deliver every shade of Stingray sound imaginable. The extra humbuckers is noticeable when slapping, but unless you really spank it, it will play just fine.

2. So - did you buy it?

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That SR5 HH is really tempting, but I would have to let something or things go because I just picked up that Ampeg Portabass. IT would be worth it, but I would most likely put it on layaway, and pay it off because being a premium model, it is just under $1,500.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sounds like their version of the G&L L2500?

5. they make bongos with maple fretboards???

and yea i was totally blow away by the SR4 HH when i first got my hands on one... my local GC doesnt have a SR5 HH yet :(

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hear you cb56, but the sound is pure Stingray. I guess a better parallel would be the old two pup model whose name escapes me even though I had one for minute back around 1994.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No, Dude, I'm talking about a Stingray 5 HH!

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Radiance Red? YUMMY!

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

The old model was the Sabre. Remember "Stomp" by Brothers Johnson? This SR5 is basically a super cool updated Sabre. I love Bongos, but the SR5 HH is at a whole other level sound wise and in terms of looks.

10. o haha i read that wrong my bad... i love maple necks on Stingrays, too bad mine as rosewood:meh: ... but i still love my stingray.

11. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I played a couple of HH Stingray 4's this past weekend and I was very, very impressed. A lot of great tones. A seriously tempting bass.

12. Cool, man. They looks so evil :cool:

And I just bought an H SR5.

Drat, I'll have to wait a few years.

13. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Not to kill your thunder or anything, but your title is a little misleading. There is no such thing as a premium EB anything, thats just their standard quality for all basses.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Stingray do come with premium finishes that cost more than others, just ask Bovinehost.

15. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    My next purchase will most likely be an SR4 HH. I played one up in Duluth at Grand Central Music a couple weeks back. It sounded amazing and had killer looks to boot!

16. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The only premium option is a premium natural wood option. The burst finishes are a little extra, but are not referred to as premium. There is a standard finish list that list pricing options for the slightly more expensive finishes. You can find it here. I am quite familiar with the option list.

17. Little Horse knows his EBs. Hes right about the finishes. Natural and premium natural carry an upcharge, along with the bursts. Other than that, finishs cost the same.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The finish on the bass I played is a burst and I know it has an upcharge. I will have to go to the Ernie Ball site to say exactly what it is. I know that other SR5s with regular solid finishes are less expensive than this bass by $150 or so.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes, upcharge, but the title 'premium' is only given to one finish, and thats the natural finish with 'premium' wood choice, which is a signficant upcharge. Burst and trans finishes are an upcharge, but are not called premium.

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I stand corrected. That said, it is still one of the best looking basses I have ever seen.