Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

presonus firepod, or aardvark Q10 pro

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by groovking, Dec 26, 2004.

1. one is pci based, the other firewire. i been tossing between both. i think im leaning to firepod, which would work on my laptop also. any of u have any experience with the both of these

2. im surprised no one has any comments on these two products, ......gk

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I would say the aardvark Q10.

4. have u used both or either of these units?

5. All other things being equal, I'd choose the firewire option. I have two Aardvark Q10s which work fairly well (the mon mixer/input level adjustment software sucks pretty bad though). However, the ability to take your recording system on the road with a laptop is a pretty big plus. I bought a MOTU 828mkII just for that purpose. If I had firewire in my Aardvarks, I wouldn't have had to.

I'm not familiar with the PreSonus stuff. Good luck.

- Dave

6. thanks for the info dave. i think the firewire option is the way to go. the presonus firepod seems to be a hot little item. all the reviews ive read are super.

any thoughts on this,...every now and again i hear of some people having to disable ht hyperthreading on their intel pentium 4 hyperthread pcu's. i hope that doesnt become an issue. both my recent units are both ht pent 4's .
    2.8 desktop/ 3.2 laptop

7. well i got the presonus firepod. boy i love this thing. its a very easy interface to use. works seemlessly with cubase. nice clean sound. im really impressed with this one. in the past 3 mos ive gone thru the m-audio delta series 44, 66, and the omni i/o with the delta 66 card, also experimented with a tascam us 122 (gift for my daughter i had to test before giving it to her, naturally)
    i just find the presonus sooo much easier to use, and it cuts out quite a bit of outboad gear. very happy with the sound quality also............nice job presonus!

8. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    I was just lookin gat the Q10 this past weekend.
    Come to find out that Aardvarck is no longer in business, so there's no tech support for the Q10.

Went with a RME Hammerfall + Beringer ADA 8-channel preamp combo.
    So far so good!