SOLD PRICE DROP - StingRay5 H Translucent Teal 2001- MINT and Pleck'd

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by whitelines, Oct 30, 2020.

1. whitelines

whitelines Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    Up for sale is a MM SR5 from 2001. It is an awesome bass with incredible build quality and a killer B string. Unfortunately, as much as I want to love to tone, and I've always wanted a Stingray, but I just can't bond with the active MM sound. I'm too used to my passive Ps and Js. (No offense MM fans!)
    I am the second owner, and it was originally a fretless. I acquired it a year ago, I knew the original owner and he kept his gear immaculate. It still does not have a single ding or on it.
    I tried it as a fretless for awhile but couldn't see myself using it on a gig, so I took it to the best bass luthier in SLC and had him install stainless steel frets and new side dots. He fully leveled the board with his PLEK machine (didn't need much he said), then used the PLEK to cut the fret slots, then level and crown the frets after the frets were installed, then hand finished and rolled the fret edges. When he gave it back to me, it was the lowest action five string I've ever played. He did a amazing job.
    I've since tried it at a number of rehearsals and though it plays like a dream, the active pickup MM sound is not for me.
    This is a 2001, the American build quality is really great, but it is not as light as the new MM SR5s. If someone is really interested, I'll hunt down a scale and weigh it, but I expect it to be 10 pounds for sure. It feels heavier than my 1926 fender jazz, but lighter than my 1976 (Ash) Fender Jazz.
    Comes with original MM hardshell case with MM logo. It's sturdy and in great shape.
    I'll split the shipping cost 50/50% to the CONUS. Ping me if you have questions. No trades please, I've got my eye on a pricey P online, so I've decided to see this and another few items to pay the piper. IMG_0673.jpeg IMG_0673.jpeg IMG_0674.jpeg IMG_0675.jpeg IMG_0676.jpeg IMG_0677.jpeg IMG_0678.jpeg IMG_0679.jpeg IMG_0680.jpeg Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.48.33 PM.png

Attached Files:

dave64o, Stewart13, Crispus and 6 others like this.
  2. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Oh, now THAT'S gorgeous.

whitelines likes this.
  3. whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Edit: please ignore the rookie spelling mistakes above.
    Also, the light spot on the edge of the forearm area is the reflection of a leaf that happens to be in a spot that looks like a chip. The bass looks brand new in person. That’s what I get for taking it outside to get some good light.

4. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    weight?

5. whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    I'll find out and take it to a shipping store. stay tuned.

ComeHomeShane likes this.
  6. whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    10.2 lbs
    Turns out we had a scale at work.
    87DA620E-4926-44E6-B369-B36D0AB1E86F.jpeg

rolorocknerd likes this.
  7. Greetings from B.C.

Is this something you would ship to Canada?

My shipping address is James Green
    4983 Gloinnzun Drive
    108 Mile ranch, B.C. Canada, V0K2Z0
    cell 604-720-4355
    Thanks James

8. whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Hi James,
    I don’t think it would be worth it, estimated ups shipping is 230 dollars. If I were a more experienced seller/shipper, then maybe I’d feel more comfortable with it. I’m sorry, I realize that it’s probably a pain to buy stuff from the US. At least you guys know how to deal with a pandemic, it’s a hot spot in Utah at the moment!
    Thanks, Wally

9. GregSBass

GregSBass Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Clearwater, Florida
    You might try selling it through Reverb.....Their shipping discount might make it worth paying the commission on the sale for the Canadian buyer.....worth looking into.....Does Paypal offer shipping discounts?

whitelines likes this.
  10. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    I can’t believe this is sitting around for 1000 bucks...

whitelines likes this.
  11. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    What shipping discount??

12. Thanks very much for your reply, please be safe out there and all the best, hope you sell your bass soon. James

whitelines likes this.
  13. GregSBass

Oct 13, 2012
    Clearwater, Florida
    I've sold lots of gear on Reverb. At first I checked their shipping rates, then went directly to the lowest shipper and had them weight the package and give me a rate. Every time the Reverb rate was lower, sometimes as much as 50%....So it seems they've worked out a discount with UPS, and FedEx.

davidchampoux and whitelines like this.
  14. whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    This is good advice, I’m going to move this sale to reverb. I’ve used them to sell a few pedals, and they do make it easier.
    Thanks for the interest.

15. GregSBass

Oct 13, 2012
    Clearwater, Florida
    And by the way....A great looking bass!......If I didn't already have a Stingray V I'd jump on this one....great price....Make sure you ask a little more on Reverb to cover the selling fees....At this price it should sell quickly, good luck!!

16. whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    thank you. yeah, I bumped up the price a little.

17. Suho

Suho Bass Guardian Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Albany, NY
    I've been eyeing it a lot. If I hadn't just bought a Stingray 5 from a TBer about a month ago I'd have taken this. Good luck on Reverb.

whitelines likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021