1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Price drop to $2,800 - Pre-Gibson Tobias Basic 5 (Early '90's)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Catabee, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Catabee

Catabee

Jan 20, 2015
    Price:
    $3200
    Strings:
    IMG_1392.JPG IMG_1391.JPG Serial # 1191, I am the original owner. Modified from dual volume pots to pan and master volume. Neck is maple and purple heart, body is bubinga. Apologies for the crappy pictures, I can send better ones on request. No idea why they're rotated, the originals were not. Back has some finish swirling, but no damage. Selling because it's rarely used and I've taken up mandolin of all things. Comes with original case. Price is $2,800 OBO, send PM if interested.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. leurw

leurw Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Chicago western burbs
    Wow, beautiful. I don't think I've seen a bubinga basic before.

3. I'm always blown away by my Classic 5. This bass will make somebody very happy.

4. Catabee

Catabee

Jan 20, 2015
    I'd be lying if I claimed that wasn't the first thing that drew me to it. Then I played that neck and out the store it went.

1funkyboy likes this.
  5. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    damn, i've been wanting a no-kidding tobias since i was 12 or 13 years old - one day!! that's a gorgeous one.. i _so_ want

6. leurw

leurw Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Chicago western burbs
    That's what happened to me. Been pining after one since I wss a kid. Finally ended up buying on here on TB about a year ago. Way more money than I should have spent on a bass but I don't regret it!

neptoon likes this.
  7. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i don't believe i would either...every time i see one go by my stomach turns...serial #666 and a solid black basic were the worst ones...i woulda killed for either one of those...and this one is right up there with them

8. Mr Catabee let's talk

9. Mr Catabee where are you Sir

10. He has only made 3 posts on TalkBass. Try start a Private Conversation with him.