Price hike across the brands?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Emre Hanli, Jun 17, 2021.

1. hasn't changed much lately.

2. has gone up significantly during the pandemic.

3. has always been carrots.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    Hello string pullers!

I use DR Fat Beams 99% of the time on my basses and had stocked up big time like 2 years ago. It's been convenient and I remember saving a few bucks buying bulk. Now I'm looking to buy again but the prices seem to have gone up since I hid under this rock. Did a search in the strings forum and saw a couple of threads about price increases regarding two different brands from a few months ago. Now that I see DR is also more expensive, I'm wondering if that's the case with all the makers perhaps due to the pandemic related raw material shortage type mess up?

I remember the price for a Fat Beams 45-125 set being around $25 in general and $23 when on sale. Now most vendors sell them for $34/set and the cheapest price I can see is $29. Am I being delusional or what?

I was feeling nostalgic about the times when I'd be playing and recording all the time and restringing weekly but I guess it's a good thing I don't do that anymore.

What do you say?

2. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    https://www.amazon.com/DR-Strings-FB5-45-Fat-Beams-Medium/dp/B009P6E9ZW
    $27.68/set. That's not too shabby; I think it's somewhat normal to see 5-string sets go north of $30 in recent times. 4-string sets can still be had for ~ $18-25, but always anticipate price increases commensurate with demand increase coupled with upticks in raw material costs. Taking inflation into account, bass strings are waaaaaay cheaper than they were when I started back in the late 80s, i.e. I still paid close to $20 for my first new set of Bass Boomers, almost 6 hours of my labor working part-time, LOL.

FWIW, Fat Beams are damn good strings; I like the subdued, not-so-tinny sound inherent of stainless (non NPS) strings.

Giraffe, BrentSimons and Emre Hanli like this.
  3. Mr Ralph

Mr Ralph Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Hinckley Ohio
    Just as an FYI. Last year at this time steel was 38 cents per pound, current steel quotes $1.05 per pound. Add in all the other raw material increases such as packaging which is up over 20% and freight and it is amazing that prices have not gone up even more. On another note a good bit of Asia is shut down again due to Covid. Nothing in or out or being made. Container shipping prices which this time last year were $3000 for a container from Asia are now as high as $17,000 if you can get a spot on the ship. So expect al lot of stores to remain under stocked.

4. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    Well, that's quite messed up. Hope those numbers are not here to stay. $17K for a container? Sheesh...

5. Giraffe and Emre Hanli like this.
  6. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I have seen some brands creep up a bit and stock not what it normally is - but I know Daddario is having a sale now (like $15 for a 4 string set?) so it seems a bit inconsistent.

BrentSimons and Emre Hanli like this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Thankfully DR Pure Blues are still $23 and Dunlop Super Brights are still $16-$18.

BrentSimons, eriky4003 and sonojono like this.
  8. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    MCF, BrentSimons and Emre Hanli like this.
  10. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    I don't really keep track of prices, I am going to change my strings anyway regardless of price....oh well...not like drum heads, where it costs like $100 USD to change just the batter heads!

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Don’t ever play a classical stringed instrument if string prices bother you. :laugh: A full upright bass set can run north $350 depending on the brand and the composition. Single strings can run from $30 to $70 - and up. :nailbiting:

Root 5, PsyDocHill and Jon Moody like this.
  12. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    I use Rotosound 66 nickels and for whatever reason they are cheaper than normal right now at the places I buy them and the same goes for the steels. No idea why.

Emre Hanli, BrentSimons and Rick_Bass like this.
  13. Rick_Bass

Rick_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Detroit
    This is my order from 2020. The Daddarios went down in price. And the EB's went up. The DAddarios were 19.99 and the EBS were 16.69. Noow the Daddarios are 14.99 and the EBs are 19.99 That's a good price on them XLs:D
    Picks from old order and if bought today @ amazon. strings 01.png strings 03.png strings 04.png

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Zak TMD likes this.
  14. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    Totally same!
    Last order
    upload_2021-6-17_14-36-15.png

now
    upload_2021-6-17_14-36-39.png

15. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would expect inflation to hit everything you buy over the coming months. Transpo costs and raw materials prices are through the roof, plus money has been so cheap for so long that we're probably entering a period of hyperinflation that will effect every sector.

bignc, TheReceder and Highroler79 like this.
  16. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

The ship getting stuck in the Suez did not help either. Wasn't the effect something horrendous?

17. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Dunlop Flats: way up.
    GHS Flats: way down.

18. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    That's interesting, considering we raised prices to our dealers back in March.

Root 5, Dan_reeves and TerribleTim68 like this.
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    At the beginning of the pandemic there was more transportation than goods to transport. What we are seeing now is a massive amount of current production and not enough transportation to get it to market so shipping prices are stupid high as makers and dealers bid against each other for a spot in a container or trailer.
    Like a slinky, transport is currently stretched to it’s limit, but things should lighten up once the slinky contracts again and shipping prices drop back off.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    TheReceder likes this.
  20. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    An honest seller! Maybe it's old stock. The only strings I'm interested in are Precision Flats 45-105.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021