1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Prime Examples of "Warwick Thumb Sound"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fu22ba55, Apr 29, 2009.

1. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm GASsing pretty hard for a Thumb right now based on the look and the vibe and the design, etc...

Can someone please point me to two or three "albums" that have the quintessential classic "warwick thumb sound"?

I know Zender from Jamiroquai uses Warwicks in general, but I'm looking for the Thumb sound in particular.

For P-Bass I'd say Who/"Live at Leeds" and Cheap Trick/"Cheap Trick" as classic examples...

Jazz Bass I'd say Weather Report/"Heavy Weather" or any other Jaco record...

What's the equivalent for the Thumb?

Thanks.

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Hmmm. Jaco had his own thing going, I wouldn't say his jazz bass tone is representative of anything besides Jaco

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Someone may swoop in and correct me, but I think a lot of Prince stuff was recorded with a Thumb.

4. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    Doesn't Jack Bruce use a Thumb Bass as his main bass?

5. Based on my experiences playing fretted neck-thru Thumbs, the first 5 tracks of Incubus s.c.i.e.n.c.e. are dead ringers for the Thumb sound. Let me say that I doubt the tracks were originally recorded with a Thumb. But IMHO the tones are the same, especially through a modern (circa 1999) amp rig, a al SWR, Eden, etc.

YMMV

6. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Definetly Mudvayne if you like that kind of music.

7. Norwood Fisher from Fishbone uses Warwicks,dont know if he uses Thumbs tho.

8. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Yup, a fretless Thumb for the last 25 years or so.

His "A Question Of Time" album has great examples of the Thumb tone all over it (of course, the guy playing on the album has something to do with the tone, too! :)). Very good album - definitely worth checking out, IMO.

9. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Fishbone, Norwood Fisher.

this guys as some awesome examples of a fretless Thumb (check out Ensemble Salazhar, Obsura is his Death Metal band).

http://www.jeroenthesseling.com/audio.htm

Mudvayne LD.50 (It's metal, so maybe not your bag).

... and a couple U-tube. Metallica covers.

10. fu22ba55

Apr 16, 2009
    I know... I just couldn't think of any other "Jazz Bass" specific records, since it's such a ubiquitous tone.

11. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    mudvayne +1 even if u dont dig them the bass tone is amazing

12. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    try jimi hendrix "Are you experienced" for starters. Or Led Zeppelin.

either of those would be a much more typical example of Jazz Bass tone than Jaco, whose axe was heavily customized (and whose playing technique was anything but "typical)

13. fu22ba55

Apr 16, 2009
    That's exactly it. To me, that's the sound of "the bass guitar" Of course those are both Jazz Bass, but I never think of it. Thanks. That's dead on for Jazz.

The Thumb suggestions and links are very helpful as well. Keep 'em comin'.

14. Clarkus Miller

Clarkus Miller

Oct 5, 2008

That's right. Listen to Exodus by the New Power Generation. The Thumb is everywhere.

15. jgoldbe

jgoldbe

Jul 9, 2008
    New York City
    eric wilson of sublime used a thumb, among other basses, but the thumb tone really comes through on tracks like "caress me down." you can usually tell when he is using it, sooo much growl.

16. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Maybe if someone other than Prince is playing bass. Prince (when he plays bass) is very partial to Fender jazz basses. :bassist:

17. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
  18. +1 on ld 50 from mudvayne. ive been trying to nail down that tone for years with my cirrus. really it sounds like the standard soloed bridge pup "jazz" tone to me. any number of basses can pretty much get a tone very similiar to that. fender jazz is around there. -joep