Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Prince: NAACP Image Awards

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 26, 2005.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Anyone catch this last night? Pretty good show with The Ricky Minor Band playing of course. Did anyone watch the Prince mini concert at the end? I have to tell you that Prince is one true entertainer! Rhonda Smith was not there for this one but the sub bassist was solid and groovin'! In the middle somewhere, Prince straps on a beautiful Fender Jazz and starts playing Larry Graham's "The Jam"! A true, 'real' musician! When it comes to laying down the funk....Prince knows how to do it! 'Nuff said! My avatar says it all!

2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    yeah i saw it--i'm not a real Prince fan, but he did nice work last night--real bluesey, nice horns etc. I saw him solo on the bass and thought to myself "larry graham distortion and sustain"--looks like you confirm my instincts!

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, and his guitar solo was pretty good too.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yup!!

On another note, hot damn, the female singer in your band is smokin'!!

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Prince is the Baddest Multi-instrumentalist on the face of the planet.

Try to name one Funkier, go ahead I dare u.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    There is an archived article of Bass Player with a Prince interview. They asked him, what is a bass supposed to sound like? His reply, "Larry Graham" hehe.

I've always respected Prince, or whatever his name is hehe. Even if you dont dig his music, the guy has talent flowing out of his ears on almost any instrument he chooses to play.

7. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I love that telecaster he has. If you ever get the chance, rent "An Evening With Kevin Smith," he talks about this documentry he shot about his last album. Prince is one weird dude.

8. Habukkuk

Habukkuk

Mar 30, 2005
    DID HE THROW THAT TELE?!?!?!

Oh that pissed me off. I hate it when artists throw around and smash their equipment. And there I am sitting with my Samick, watching Prince huck his super sweet tele.

Rick Springfield once smashed a nice 3 color sunburst strat on like, the rosie odonnell show. I don't think I've ever been so pissed.

But yeah, the Prince performance was real good. That lady playin' the drums was sweet too.

9. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    The band was super tight, the bass player was Elijah Baker, who plays with Toni Tony Ton'e.

Rhonda's good but this cat was smokin on a Trecker Jazz 4, tone for days.

That was Sheila E on the Timbales closing the set with Glaromous Life, she's also Nicole Rithie's Aunt, but that's another story.

O yea,
    I'm sure his roadie caught his Tele, at least I hope he did. :eek:

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I saw Elijah with the NPG band during the mid to late 90's and he was Bringing da Pain ! back then also on 4/5 string

11. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I love a man in assless chaps.

12. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Mee too!