Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Prince's bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bloodfairy13, Jun 18, 2004.

1. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    I watched a music vid one day for Prince's Musicology, I think...I like the sound of his bassist but I can't remember her name...anybody wanna tell me??? :bassist: :bassist:

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Rhonda Smith.

She is Fine!

3. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    My wife turned me on to Prince. That's when I heard her. Rhonda is bad and hot. A bass players dream girl. She smokes you in the bedroom and on stage! OUCH :bawl:

4. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Actually the "sound" of the bassist on Musicology is Prince himself. Rhonda is his touring bass player, although she did play bass on a couple of the tracks on the CD, but not the song Musicology.

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Rhonda is probably the best female bassist on Earth. She is smokin'.

6. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    :eyebrow: dude, that was wierd...I did NOT need to know that guys!!!!!!! :bassist: :bassist:

7. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Interesting profile you've got.

Though I mean absolutely no disrespect if your dad plays anything like FieLdY of Korn,I'm not very sure that's a good sign. :ninja:

8. What do you mean? You didn't want to know that she is super fine?

9. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    not particularly...but oh well...
    FYI--my dad can't play like Fieldy...I wish I could play like Fieldy...my dad just plays...one thing I've noticed about him is that he never plays a whole song...he'll play bits and pieces of 6 diff. songs all together...he's weird... :bassist: :bassist:

10. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    there's bass in musicology? it seemed to be lacking highly in the bass department by my standards...

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...seems fine to me.

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    If you want to sound just like fieldy, get a 5 string and downtune a whole step, and just hit random strings really hard for a few minutes.

Boom! Instant Ko|2\n! :D

13. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I'll just kind of palm mute and click around on my strings too. Makes my fiancee mad (she's a Korn fan from way back) when I tell her I'm playing like the guy from Korn. ;)

14. salputrid

salputrid

Dec 6, 2002
    Montreal
    Rhonda's from my part of the world, Montreal. I remember seeing her play fusion with Benoit Charest (Oscar-nominee for Triplettes de Belleville soundtrack) at l'Air du Temps ten years ago. Shows to go ya, you never know where you might wind up. Prince may have admired her for the qualities they share, both talented and short.

15. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    :D good point...I love KORN...you guys have a point...that's what he sounds like he's doing...I like him though...I like the rhythm and the notes and the wzy they go together and stuff...sometimes it does just sound like noise but I think that most of the time it's actual sounds but kind of garbled sounds...get it??? :bassist: :bassist:

16. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    But then again, if you had to play bass with two seven string guitars down there in your frequency range, you'd have to do something else to stand out. I mean if you can't go any further down, then I guess the next step is to go up, hence the "clicking" sound. I honestly don't know how we'd hear him any other way.

17. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    Did you realize that we started out talking about Rhonda and ended up talking about fieldy???

18. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    You can blame ironmaidenisgod for that one. :smug:

That did get waaay of topic didnt it? :eyebrow:

Anyway, speaking of Rhonda (how's that for getting back on topic?), Prince is playing the Essense festival in New Orleans at the Superdome. And the opening act is.... The Time!! It sounds like an awesome show but at $125 for the good seats :eek: I think I'll pass.

19. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Prince wails on the upper register of the bass in "Musicology". He gets that killer biting tone.

The whole MUSICOLOGY CD has great bass tracks, 'Musicology's' bass is just a repetitive lil' groove. I recommend the CD, Prince is one killer bassist.

20. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    :eek: :eek: I'd pass too!!! Whoa!!! Do you remember the Kiss/Aerosmith tour??? We saw the prices for those and we went :eek: AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :bawl:

:D :bassist: :bassist: