Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Printing CD artwork

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anyone have experience with this? I made an album, I've got the artwork in Quark... but my printer sucks.

Where should I go and anyone have any ideas on prices?

The cover is just one sheet and so is the back. And I'd like between 30 - 50 copies of each. Price ideas?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    bump...

I mean...

... bump

3. I would say you should save your Quark file to disk (or CD) and print out one copy of it on your crappy printer, then go to all the small print shops in Edinboro, PA and get some quotes. When one of them mentions a price you're willing to pay, leave the disk/CD with them. ;)

Oh, and if you want it to look "professional" you want a SWOP coated or UV coated 20-25 lb paper stock. ...but any good print shop would tell you that...

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cool beans, do you have any rough estimation of what stuff like this costs?

5. nope. no idea.

a) you're in an entirely different market than I am.

b) the print shop I used to work at wouldn't touch a job that small.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Figure anywhere from $50 to $150, depending on the shop and how easy you make things on yourself and them. Much as I hate to suggest it, it might be worth a shot to check out Kinko's since it's such a small job. One thing you want to do is make sure all your bases are covered before you take it to a printer, because everything they have to do to make sure the file works is going to cost extra, or they'll just print out whatever garbage they can and tell you that that's what you gave them and you'll have to pay for crap you can't use.

I have some suggestions that will help you (since I'm a designer and have to put up with this all the time):

1. Make sure all the images you're using are either .eps or .tif files
    2. Make sure all the fonts you're using are included on the CD with the quark file
    3. Make sure all images as well as the document are set up to use CMYK color.

If you want, you can send me the file(s), and I'll look at it on my machine and print out a proof of sorts so I can tell you how it'll look. My printer rocks my socks, and I'll be happy to help.

Also, what version of Quark are you using?