Problem: It this a setup issue or just poor technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fret Boiler, May 14, 2004.

1. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    OK. I've been playing for about a month now and can't seem to resolve the following problem. When I am switching from the A-string (first finger) to the E-string (fourth finger--pinky) I can't seem to effectively avoid getting a clanking noise as the string hits the fret. It happens mostly on the E-string-pinky but sometimes on the A-string if I'm transitioning from the D-string too (index finger -> pinky as well). It doesn't happen below say the 9th fret or so. My setup seems cool, the relief is set to Fenders's specs and the action is high enough so I don't get buzzing.

Could this be a problem with the set-up or does my technique need help? Any suggestions?

2. Probably technique. You'll get used to applying the right amount of force to fret correctly, etc.

3. Technique, you need to keep playing, your style will develope and so will the strength in your fretting hand!

You can also have a tech check out your set-up, that would help you decide what is really going on!

4. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    so is this from overpowering the string? like striking too hard on it?
  5. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Thanks Treena and jenderfazz! I'm devoting a fair amout of my practice time working on this aspect of my technique.

6. make sure to place the finger as close to the next fretbar (correct word???) as possible because there you will need less force to get an appropriate tone.

7. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree with the previous posters, but one thing that stood out was you say this didn't happen below the 9th fret. Generally around the 8th fret - 9th fret (depending on the bass and setup) is where your highest "action" is, the string is farther from the fretboard. Leads me to believe that maybe your getting that clanking noise because your pinkie in compensating for that extra space (and consequently, time) to stop the string, maybe it's just slamming a tad too fast or hard? Just what came to my mind, of course I could be way off.
  8. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I wouldnt get too worried about it. It will go away overtime but you must always remember that you are fretting metal strings onto metal frets and a bit of noise is normal.