Problem with 3band EQ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by metalli-guy, May 27, 2017.

1. metalli-guy

metalli-guy

Mar 3, 2016
    Hai there. I've got my hands on a Stony "Sound of Rock Power" bass with a single active Musicman pickup with a 3-band eq. It's got a decent feel neck, nice hardware and an adorable flamed top.

BUT, the sound is messed up. It works without a battery, but tone controls have no effect.
    I got this preowned, therefore it's safe to assume someone messed with the wiring before, and I can't seem to get it working right.

The pickup has no markings, only thing I know about it is that it has only two wires coming out (hot and shield)
    The 3-band eq is a stp-001_amp-1 from Sung Jin Industrial Co.

Can anyone point the direction of a wiring diagram I could use?
    Or do any of you guys have any pointers for me?

Thanks in advance.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Unless your preamp specifically has a passive tone control provision, you're probably stuck with just a volume control with the preamp switched off. There are a lot of preamps that don't have a passive tone control feature, including some of the more expensive ones.

Odds are pretty good your preamp and wiring are ok. You just don't have a passive tone option.

3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

The tone controls are part of the preamp circuit and require a battery to function.