Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with Ampeg svt200t

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mingustoo, Apr 11, 2004.

1. I just bought a used Ampeg svt200t. It played fine at the seller's house but today at my home, when first starting, there is no sound. Then it farts for a while as if clearing its throat before operating correctly for a while. Then it went silent and is now farting again. Has anyone experienced this or know what the problem is? I'm using a Warwick in active mode and the -15 input. The cabinet is a Laney with 4ohm impedence.

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sounds like it needs a checkup by a qualified technician. Should work fine with that bass and speaker cab. Those are great sounding amps when working properly.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    btw try the other input and see if it does the same thing. When I used mine with my Warwick Thumb 5, I always use the passive input and adjusted the input gain to where the red clip light only flashed occasionally.

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You might double check your speaker cable for a short. I used to have an SVT-400T (same rig, 2 power amps) and if you used a bad cable it would run awhile and then go into thermal shutdown, and when it cooled come back for more abuse.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Make sure it's not the battery in your bass, Warwick's do that when their battery is dead...scared the crap out of me the first time I had mine.

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Could be anything...that amp could be pretty old.

If it isn't battery or cords, try finding the preamp out/ power amp in jacks and just plug in and out of them a few times. Sometimes the "through" connections get some corrosion on them if nothing is plugged in for a long time. Using the jack generally fixes the problem by shifting the contacts around.

We have actually changed jack suppliers to avoid that on more recent production.

Otherwise, service may be needed. It sounds like a bad connection/broken solder type of problem.

7. thanks ampeg guy and all others who responded.