Problem with bathroom lights...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Otso, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    I'm not sure if there's a topic about this (I have no idea as to what keywords to use for searching this topic).

My problem is that, everytime the lights in the bathroom are turned off, it causes a clipping sound, and I'd like to know if there's some way to fix this problem (every socket in my room has the same problem...). Also, will the clipping cause damage to the amp and/or speaker?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It won't hurt anything; fixing it would require either rewiring your house or changing the lamp.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    maybe a better light switch that won't "arc". or maybe a power conditioner for your amp, maybe a computer "surge protector" might be cheaper.

I'm not sure these will work, but maybe you could talk to your local electrical expert.

4. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Installing dimmer switches might help. If anything, they'll increase the life of your bulbs.

5. Dimmer switches typically introduce noise into your AC line that is not only contant, but the more you dim the lights the louder (and more annoying) it gets. Not all gear will have problems, but if he's got an AC problem now this will probably make it worse.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Right. Flourescents also cause noise, and is probably what he has now.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021