1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with ebs unichorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JTreehorn, May 6, 2010.

1. JTreehorn

JTreehorn

Jun 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Hi - wondering if I could get some help with an issue with an ebs unichorus..

I recently recieved a unichorus in trade off tb, recieved it, it worked great, but chorus isn't my bag I found out so I sold it to another tber...

The buyer contacted me saying that the pedal works great when connected to a 9v battery, but he can only get a dry bass signal when hooked up to a power supply. I only ran it on a 9v battery when it was in my possession, so I had no idea about the power supply issue.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I'm defintiely going to make it right for the buyer, but any experiences/guesses would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I would guess on some kind of compatibility problem with the "wall wart". It could be that the PS is not for DC (but rather AC) which will not work, or that the current output is too low from the PS. The UniChorus draws more current than many other effect pedals.

A problem with the pedal is also possible but not that likely, I'd say.

/Alexander

3. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Did the buyer use an actual EBS supply?

If He did not then I would tell him to buy one and find out.
    (He could potentially damage the circuit board with wrong voltages) most likly not but potentially.

I use that pedal with an EBS supply which you can get from Bass Central and I have no issues what so ever (for years).

4. tiresmokindad

tiresmokindad

May 21, 2010
    Can you post some pictures/videos/sound clip of your ebs unichorus so that we can determine what is the problem. :bassist:

5. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    I'm not sure about this but if the pedal is true bypass then it will bypass the signal even if it is not getting powered by battery/power supply ?? Therefore with a faulty or a wrong kind of a power supply you would still be able to get the dry signal. I would start with by trying a different power supply.

6. EricJ

EricJ

Feb 28, 2008
    I had the same problem with an EBS Multicomp I got off this list. It wasn't the seller's fault in my case, and it is not your fault, either.

It is the power supply--lots of (maybe most) generic 9v DC supplies for around the house kind of stuff have the polarity reversed over the Boss standard. I think it has to be (+) in the center. In any case, two times hooking up a polarity reversed Radio Shack supply that was labeled 9V and (when I measured it) actually putting out -14V did no damage to my EBS. Also, there are 9V power supplies that are AC. I have one for a little M-Audio mic preamp. Uses the same output plug into the unit as the 9V DC unit. Also does no damage to the EBS (AMHIK!). I pried open a regulated supply I got for about $6 (9.5V on the meter, about 0.2 high according to EBS) and resoldered the outputs to get the right polarity, but the smart move would be just to tell your buyer to buy the EBS supply.