1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with Fender MIA Jazz HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Prestonrk, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Prestonrk

Prestonrk

Jan 25, 2008
    racing kites
    I recently bought a MIA fender jazz i love the bass it plays so well and keeps up to par with my gibson grabber very well. Recently i have noticed that it lacks tone when played open e. The bass is fine all over the neck except for when open E i just dont get it It sounds so dead. I am fairly educated when it comes to setups and musical ability i have been in a touring band for the past 2 years i just am stooped. It doesnt rumble my balls like my other past basses. Pickups are set even and action is fairly low. Not sure what to do. If it helps i play in C# with earnie ball 110 power slinky's (purple pack). PLease help i dont know what else to do.

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Not to sound like a jerk here, but jazzes are typically brighter/punchier. I play J's and P's, and my jazz I would characterize as being more even across all notes...open E included. Where my P can really rumble when I dig in, or hammer an open.

Is it just that your open E is on equal volume with all of the other notes when you are expceting it to really thump....or does it sound like you're getting lower output when you play an open?

3. Prestonrk

Prestonrk

Jan 25, 2008
    racing kites
    lower output it sounds as if the low end died out. I ubdersand the differance between p and j bass. But there I'd literally a huge tone shift. My problem is not the general sound but the tone difference from a open to a fretted.

4. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Check the nut - is it cracked in the E slot?

5. change strings, rise pickups check is something isn't rusted in the control cavity

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Slyjoe might be on to something there. It sounds like you have a lack of vibration/sustain when you play it open. If an F sounds fine, but an E sounds dull - then I doubt it's anything with the PUPs.

How many wraps do you have around the tuning post on the E? If the strings aren't wrapped around at least once it can cause funny stuff with opens.

7. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Ah - sevenyearsdown reminded me of something else. Do you have the strings wound properly so the wraps are above where the string comes from the nut into the post? This gives you a solid break (angle) over the nut.

8. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    ?? anyone ever had a dead spot on an open string, is that even possible...??

9. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Yes - especially if there's a problem with the nut or the string windings.

10. Prestonrk

Prestonrk

Jan 25, 2008
    racing kites
    Good call on the string winding I think that might be the problem there really was no bend to the string. I'll try it out an let you guys know.

11. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    My first thought was that there is some kind of issue with the nut before I read the responses. Perhaps the nut is cut incorrectly, or has some sort of damage at the E?

12. Prestonrk

Prestonrk

Jan 25, 2008
    racing kites
    where would the crack be. Under the string?

13. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    It could just simply be a bad string (which I have had happen), so try that first. Best of luck:bassist:

14. I'm having the exact same problem with a Squier VM modified. I've replaced the strings and that didn't help. I think it might be the nut but I don't know. Did you solve the problem, Prestonrk?