1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with GK MB 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John127, Oct 13, 2010.

1. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    Maybe someone here has an idea of what's wrong with my new MB115. I've had it a couple of months now, but hadn't played a gig with it until the other night. I didn't notice the problem in the house while practicing quietly, but it was sure evident while playing the gig.

Anyway, I hear an "overdriven" sound on low notes (I'd say below open D). The sound is most noticeable for some reason on the D through Bb of the A string. It's not a crackle, more like a fuzz - almost as if I have a fuzz effect on the bass. This occurs when volume is low or high - like only 1/4 way up on Gain, Boost, and Master and it's still there.

Got home, tried a few different basses here, same thing - the problem is definitely with the amp/speaker.

Ideas????

Thanks for any help/suggestions/solutions anyone can provide.

2. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I noticed the same thing on the 210 model at Guitar Center. I thing GK has some quality issues with their new combo line...Before I get bashed I have owned older GK amps that worked great RB 400, 1001....

3. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I suggest you contact GK for their advise.
    FWIW, I have one and it's been fine. I'll be gigging it for the first time on Halloween weekend, but it's been great for home practice, and some loud rehearsals.

D

4. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    If you've still got it under warranty exchange it.

If not, it's either the speaker or the box.

If it's the driver, well, you need a new one!

If it's the box, take the speaker out (carefully) and make sure there aren't any loose screws and that all the hardware (handles, etc) are nice and tight. Also make sure the grill is on nice and tight and that the speaker wire itself isn't loose or making intermittent contact with the inside of the cab.

These types of buzzes are tough to track down.

It may also be in the amp, but again, that's not a DIY fix.

5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    As you've already been advised... give GK a phone call and ask them what you should do.

6. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    Will do, thanks guys. I figured I'd have to but posted in case there was a known issue with something simple, like something being loose or the like. Thanks again.

7. Do you still have the little mesh grill over the horn? Mine was loose and buzzing, so I took it off completely. Worth a look, anyway.

8. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    Checked the mesh. Not it. Thanks though.

It's so weird, it's only REALLY obvious on the lower notes of the A string (mainly the C and fretted D) - it's SO bad on those notes.

Waiting on a copy of my receipt from GC, then I'll be calling GK. Not exactly what I expect from new gear :(

Thanks for all the help guys.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Is this the low B string detuned to A, or the normal A string?

10. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Try turning the horn off if it has one, and play with the "filter" knob. The 210's and 212's at guitar center did the same thing and cut in and out until I played with them for a bit. The 210 also sounded like something was loose and never really stopped with the fuzzy sound.

11. I'll have to try that with mine. The main grille vibrates, and the tweeter makes a buzz. I'll check that out!

12. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I had the same "fuzz" thing with a 15" Schroeder cab, in my case it needed a new speaker.

13. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    See, I was under the impression that if it was the speaker, I'd hear it on high notes as well though. If I play high on the G string, I really don't hear the fuzz. I guess I was wrong as I admittedly know next to nothing about amps and speakers.

14. Tried tightening the screws?

15. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I have the 210 and it can get dirty at gigs because I tend to dig in harder if the stage volume is loud. I have my gain and boost at 50% and my bass volume at about 25%.

It sounds like you have a bigger issue here, but I just thought I would chime in.

16. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    It could still not be the speaker. It could be a vibration thing caused by low notes that vibrate something that's loose, as others have suggested.

Mine was weird because I could play through it, meaning if I cranked the volume the fuzz actually went away, then returned to fuzz city when I lowered the volume. I would have though a bad speaker would only sound worse when cranked :confused:

17. joemer

joemer

Sep 25, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had the MB115 which I returned for a similar buzzing noise. I had tightened all screws, etc. I received a replacement and noticed right away that the scews holding the main power board in the back were much larger than my original. I also read somewhere else in TB that the issue is with the main power board inside not being anchored properly. My new one has no issues.