1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems with my SVT-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cmaddox13@, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Cmaddox13@

Cmaddox13@

Dec 9, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    So basically i bought my ampeg back in december 2007 used from my guitar center. It crapped out a few weeks ago and when i took it to the repair tech he said that he had sent the same amp to ampeg to repair about three times over the last few years because he couldnt solve the problem. Now it is going back to ampeg and i dont know whether they are going to charge me for it or not. how does ampeg handle repairs that they were supposed to have fixed but didnt? I really dont want to have to pay for an amp that was supposed to have been fixed multiple times. What do you guys think?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If its had the exact same recurring issues, that shop should have documents to prove this and help you out dealing with Ampeg. If its eligible for some sort of warranty, Ampeg might just swap it out for one of they're brand new models...

Below is a quote from the Ampeg site:

It is important to remember that AMPEG product owners DO NOT have to actively register their products. When the product is purchased, it is automatically registered with LOUD Technologies Inc. (AMPEG's parent company) The original receipt / proof of purchase then qualifies as the official warranty card.

Reselling Products:
    If you choose to sell your product privately, the next owner (or purchaser) must have a copy of the original receipt in order for LOUD Technologies Inc. to honor the warranty.

Warranty:
    All AMPEG products are covered by a limited warranty. In short, the warranty states if the products purchased have not be abused in any unusual way, they are covered for 5 years on the electronics and 2 years on the speakers.

PLEASE READ THE PARAGRAPH BELOW:
    All products being presented to an LOUD Technologies Inc. Authorized Field Service Center for warranty service must be accompanied by a copy of the original sales receipt. All products being returned to LOUD Technologies Inc. for warranty service must be accompanied by a copy of the original sales receipt , a detailed description as to needed repairs, and an LOUD Technologies Inc. Return Authorization. LOUD Technologies Inc. reserves the right to repair or replace this piece of equipment at their option but it is understood that repair or replacement as provided under this limited warranty is the sole and exclusive remedy to the purchaser for defective or non-conforming products.

3. However if yours is USA made and they want to swap it for a Vietnam made SVT-CL, tell them, no.

4. Cmaddox13@

Cmaddox13@

Dec 9, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Ya i Dont want an SVT made in Vietnam but Im worried about them not only trying to repair the amp for like the forth time and whether they will do it for free considering it has been around the block so many times. Im really getting sick of not having an amp to play through too. Going on three weeks now.

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I hope they do it for free, but they may and they may not. I would try to guilt them a little. Tell them your local guy has sent it back to them 3 times and it keeps having the same problem. But regardless of whether they charge you or not, shipping is going to be pretty high.

6. Cmaddox13@

Cmaddox13@

Dec 9, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Basically Ampeg said sucks to be you and thats what happens when you buy a used amp. They thus far have not commented on the fact that their own tech said it is a defective unit and he doesn't know how to remedy the problem. This coming from a man with many years of knowledge and experience with ampegs.

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, it happens sometimes with used amps. I had a lemon or two in my day as well. All you can do is resign yourself to the fact that you'll have to drop some cash into it or sell it as is and take a beating.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It is a long shipment distance, but LS Electronics in St Louis should be able to fix it..... If not, they may ask me or the unit's designer......!

One way or another it should get done right. Most all of them used to work for Ampeg (SLM)

9. Cmaddox13@

Cmaddox13@

Dec 9, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I went up today and helped the tech lug the thing around and rip the chassis out. He proceeded to pull one of the tubes out from behind where the knobs are and pluged it back in. For some reason every few months something freezes up inside there and really messes with the sound. so i took it back to guitar center in "working" condition and they gave me a new Vietnamese head in its place. I really dont hear a drastic difference between the two either so i guess it all worked out.