1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems with Rotosounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Birdmad Girl, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Birdmad Girl

Birdmad Girl

May 27, 2008
    Hi there.

I've used Rotosounds strings for quite a few years now and never had any problems with them until recently. I always liked the feel of them and found them to be reliable.

However, I've now had three different problems with them, all within the last few months. In one set of RS66EL strings were two D strings and no E string. About a month afterwards I put on another new set of RS66EL strings and the entire set sounded dead after one rehearsal, where I must have been playing for only 2 hours max. There were Rotosounds strings sitting on some of my other basses that had been there for about 6 months that sounded brighter than this new set. I complained and was supplied with a replacement set which were luckily okay, and the shop were going to charge Rotosounds for this, saying that sometimes there is such a thing as a "duff set".

This week I put a new set of SM66 strings on one of my basses, and as I was tuning up, noticed that the A string was totally dead. All the others were bright except for this one, so again I had to seek a replacement string.

This keeps happening right before gigs and I am starting to find Rotosounds completely unreliable.

Has anyone else here had any problems with Rotosounds, or am I just unlucky?

I am now going to have to look for an alternative make of extra long scale strings as I don't know who else would make them so long, and regular long scale strings don't fit this particular bass (Washburn AB90), so if anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks. :)

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I notice the box changed a few months ago. Clearly the new box just isnt working out.

3. I've been using Rotosounds for 30 years. I've tried other brands, but always end up coming back. That being said, they're not the most consistent things on the market.

4. Yup, they had a lion on the package before, he must have been protecting the tone. Now there's just a silhouette of some douche with bad hair. :scowl:

5. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    We want the lion back. Although I haven't had any problems with rotosounds since the first time I got them and i broke the d string but that was because of my own stupidity.

6. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Never had a problem with Rotosound Swing Bass (minus the aforementioned longevity) and I plan on buying them by the dozen from here out.

7. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I had a similar problem - my current set of Rotosounds std long scale strings went dead after about a week of playing... I figured it was just a fluke. Going to get another set today or tomorrow (crosses fingers),,,

8. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Keep in mind these strings were designed for professional bass players who changed them for every concert (John Entwistle, Geddy Lee)

9. Birdmad Girl

Birdmad Girl

May 27, 2008
    That's the whole point, because I change them before I'm due to play a gig, then have been finding these problems. The set I put on yesterday had a dead A striing before I'd even started thinking about playing any songs.

Don't get me wrong, I've always loved Rotosounds, but am wondering if these occassional duff strings or sets that die within 2 hours (and I mean dead - they were totally unsusable) are something that many people experience, because it's really starting to prove unreliable.

On other basses I have Rotosounds that I play a lot (like my practice basses) and the strings on there still sounded brighter than the duff set from the other week. :rollno:

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Before you throw in the towel on Rotos, how do you put them on? If you wind them around the post manually before you tighten them up, you could be twisting the strings, which will make them sound dead. You would want to put them on the hard way by actually winding the key and letting the string naturally lock into place and tighten up. This cleared up a problem I was having with dead strings a while back.

11. I actually haven't used 'em since I paid 'top dollar' for a set yrs ago & the A string broke after 2 songs!!!! NOTHING wrong w/ bass- still have it & still have Elixir's on it!! But just put me off & haven't(yet) gone back. Tho I do like their sound, & WILL try them again one day soon.

12. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    This is how I do them, and I feel I have to say something - I play my bass for at least an hour every day, and my Rotosound Swing Bass strings have always kept "that tone" for at least two weeks. Never had a dead string. I have figured out about how much excess string to clip off before I wind them, and never twist them around the tuner peg before winding and tuning. But to be honest, I never thought about it before.

Also, Elderly Instrument has the cheapest price imaginable on the things. Check 'em out.

One last thought - these were also designed on site for one player, Entwistle, who played with 'full treble' - they're bright strings. If you find you use the EQ to tone out alot of the upper-range frequencies, you may as well find a new brand.