Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Processer lost speed....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by VS, Jan 26, 2004.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Now,I know a fair amount about computers. Enough to maintain a healthy PC. But something strange happened the other day. I turned my PC on and at the startup I noticed the processer clock had clocked my processer at a different speed than it ever had before. It(AMD Athlon XP 2,000+) used to run at a solid 1,667 Mhz,and NEVER changed. Now,it runs at 1,250 Mhz and has not changed. What would cause it to drop over 400 Mhz?! I'm a little ticked to say the least. Only one thing,I have not noticed any change in gameplay in any of my games. I did nothing different than I usually do to cause something like this to happen. Any thoughts? -Luke

2. bios, check it out. I have the same problem, but I did it on purpose cause the damn thing kept over-****ing heating, only mine's a 1900+ going from 1600-1200.

Put it back on 1667.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I had a similar problem when I replaced my motherboard.

It turned out that the reason my 1.13 Ghz was running at 850 Mhz was because the clock speed of my FSB was incorrect in the bios.

Changed it from 100 Mhz to 133 Mhz, saved and exited bios, rebooted, and that solved the problem.

4. yup, its the BIOS*

*or at least all signs point to it

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Hey guys ill tag along with this as ive had teh same problem, what bios settings should i use for an AMD athlon 1800+ XP?
    Ist it the clock speed of my FSB i need to change? im not at home now but ill check later, thanks, and sorry for hi-jacking :)

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    this or heat.

7. Blisshead might be on to something with the heat. Yes, it's a bios setting, but why did this happen?

If it's overheating, it may be trying to underclock itself to fix the problem? With mine when i have that problem, it just boots up into the bios, and selects my 1600mhz setting, and says it's incompatible, so I manually set it to 1200 and it runs stable.

There could be something more serious wrong such as heat. Damn AMD and their ****ign heat problems. You can get a really big fan and sink to fix it, but it'll be loud as hell.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check the temperature (BIOS) and the fan.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Check this site out.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/

I have my pc where I mix, so I made it MUCH quieter by changing fans.

10. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Thanks for your help everyone. I changed my FSB in the BIOS to fix it. Thanks again. -Luke