1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Producing on a dime

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by MoonQuake, Jan 6, 2012.

1. MoonQuake

MoonQuake Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Montréal, Qc.
    Hi Justin,

I wish you all the best for 2012. Hope everything's not too bad with your studio and like you said, that it won't be representative of the year to come.

I was wondering what gear you'd go to if you were producing a track on a budget for recording vocals, guitar, bass and a programmed drum track.

What would be your preamp, EQ, Comp and software of choice.

Thanks

Mark

2. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    What is your budget? $100's? $1000's? $10,000's?

3. MoonQuake

MoonQuake Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Montréal, Qc.
    Ahhh good point lol.

I realised I didn't express myself correctly and clearly. Sorry about that.

I'm not going to buy the gear but rent it cause it's for just one song. All I have to do is record vocals, bass (clean through amp and miked cab) and distorted through NI Guitar Rig to act as an electric guitar and the drums are programmed using a mix of Kontakt and Arturia Analog Library.

Here's what I was considering renting :

Mic : AT4050
    Preamp : Pacifica
    Comp : Distressor

Would that be able to cover it all? Is there a better setup or something I've overlooked?

Mark

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
  5. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'll chime in with my budget 2 cents for a pre and comp to look at:

Summit 2BA-221 and TLA-50:

Summit Audio 2ba-221

Summit Audio - TLA-50

The two together make a killer strip for around a grand-ish.

EDIT: reading about Golden Age......man, my wallet might have just got a tad lighter . . .

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, that preamp got my attention, too. Been using my old ART Dual MP preamp and it's served me well for the past 11 years, but I could stand to Neve up this crap glorified computer I call a home studio ;) Anyone ever hear the stock version vs. the fully modded version?

7. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    I know I definitely love my two channels of Pacifica, and you can't go wrong with a Distressor. Those seem like pretty solid rental choices. I'm a big fan of API stuff too. Maybe the rental co has a lunchbox with a variety of 500 series pres and EQs too.

8. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Oh I didn't know the budget was getting up in THAT level!

Yup - Summit stuff is super sweet and always under-rated. Pacifica - use them all the time, Distressors are great.

Everyone should just get an API lunch box and get collecting. You will get so much practical use and value out of that format!

J

9. analogcabin

analogcabin

Oct 18, 2011
    Afton, VA
    A big +1 for Ableton Live. Having used most every DAW I still say Ableton's work flow and GUI ahead of the pack.

10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    trying to mic and use the bass signal from a software signal, will cancel out and give you weird EQ's.

Sometimes you get lucky and toggle the phase in your Daw

Otherwise Guitar rig is easier and should give you a good mix for both clean and dirty.

Otherwise having owned Guitar Rig and Amplitude

I will say IK multimedia's endorsed products are a little better than Native instruments simulators. for the most part the same IK's cabinet emulations are a little better.

Ik Multimedia's Ampeg SVX is nothing to sneeze at either its good.

Vocals....your Daw should already have basic compression and soft limiters.
    I record with a really light soft limit then add compression and light reverb/delay during mixdown.

All yah need is a Good Mic, AKG's aint to bad for the money
    I just picked up a Perception 120 with the fancy mic clip and case Used for 75 bucks. Most likely the same or cheaper than renting.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not if you know what you're doing. Just have to get complimentary tones that don't phase with each other. People have been blending bass signals for decades.