1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Professional Bass worker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickname500, Apr 27, 2009.

1. nickname500

nickname500

Apr 27, 2009
    hello,

I would like to pursue a career in bass building. Everything from Amp head working, to bass cabinet making, to bass guitar making, effects, and so on and so forth.

unfortunately, I really have no experience with any of this. The only sensible plan would be to learn about electronics (take electrical engineering in college), and work my way from there.

Can anybody suggests ways to learn about these things? Any college classes to take? Is there shop in college?
    Please Help
    thank you
    :)

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Most of the workers who build amps are not engineers, though many are highly skilled electronics assembly workers.

Getting a job in a factory building anything (except chicken parts) in N. America is pretty much impossible. It is probably easier to find some place hiring engineers.

3. DeeCup

DeeCup

Mar 16, 2009
    find the vo-tech school in your area. get an elec ed certificate. i have one that i got for computer networking. it's great.

next, work at a music store. buy broken stuff at pawn shops, fix it. be 'the guy' that everyone in town goes to for getting thigns fixed.

just dive into it. maybe a few college classes in business.

4. Justin89

Justin89

Jul 6, 2008
    the dirty
    the first step is to buy an SX ;)