Prog/fusion Bands with two bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Firekyurem12, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Firekyurem12

Firekyurem12

Dec 30, 2017
    Planet Earth
    Interested in setting up a new project with some friends, but I'm having a hard time finding music. I've got cover songs from The Omnific, Sketch the Sky, Victor Wooten and Steven Bailey, Mammoth, and a japanese group called Imaginary Point. Obviously not all of them have two bass players. This is why I come to you guys. Any suggestions?

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I was recalling that Steven Wilson and Nic Beggs both played bass on a few songs, but in this one, it's bass (Steven) and Stick (Nic).

Bob_Ross and Spectre1966 like this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Not exactly fusion in any sense, but I guess the nature of the songs, having unconventional fairly complex structures, incorporating rhythm shifts within them and an extensive use of odd meters, does make the band I once played in called Menfolk rather progy.

Though I personally would describe it as hardcore and noise rock influenced math rock, but you might be able to find some inspiration in it anyway.

Quite hard, as I said hardcore influenced, with hard pounding drums, screaming vocals and an extensive use of distorted instruments.

All Menfolk's material is up on Bandcamp for free listening:

Menfolk

And just to set things straight, I left the band after the recordings for the EP "Are We Enemies", but helped compose a few of the tracks on their first full length "Colossus".

And they continued with 2 bass players after I left, one primarily taking care of the more traditional bass work, and one with a more midrangy/trebly tone primarily taking care of the more melodic bass work.

I had the role of the latter when I was in the band.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    SunnBass likes this.
  4. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    King Crimson - THRAK

lowplaces, SeSt, Aqualung60 and 6 others like this.
  5. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    NoiseNinja likes this.
  6. Swedish folk/progband Kebnekajse.

7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Though kind of off topic and not really helping OP one bit, I got to comment on this.

For some reason the free play songs on their MySpace profile wouldn't play, but I found a few songs by them on Spotify, though there's only one 4 track EP and one various artists compilation, where they feature with 2 songs, available there.

Am listening through some of their songs in this very moment and I got to say it sounds really interesting and appealing to me, potentially even great, but think I will need more listening sessions to judge that.

My first impression, if I had to categorize the music genre wise, is that it has this distinct 90's/00's typical indie/noise rock sound and feeling to it, just without the use of dissonance, noisy parts and extensive use of distorted instruments, also sense a bit of a post hardcore vibe in it as well, but again in a non aggressive and kind of mellow way, and then all that put into a post and math rocky form, the latter genre reference though without it's typical use of abrasive rhythm structures.

Thinking about it the music actually fits pretty well into a post rock with vocals category, perhaps more so than any other genre influence I hear.

I like it. :thumbsup:

And In every instance, thank you for making me aware of this band.

EpicSoundtracks likes this.
  8. There was a Melbourne band 15-20 years back named Preshrunk. Two bassists and a drummer. I have very fond but rather blurry memories of seeing them play in my late teens early 20s.

Grumry, Hues, swafran and 2 others like this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

The Dixie Dregs,at one time,did a tour with two bassists.
    Dave LaRue and Andy West on stage at the same time.
    It was not a permanent thing.

Bob_Ross and Hues like this.
  10. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Magma

ajkula66 and IconBasser like this.
  11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    The Crimson ProjeKCt, with Tony Levin and Julie Slick, playing Adrian Belew-era King Crimson material:

EchoTest, featuring Julie Slick and Marco Machera. Two basses, though one of them is a VI (Music starts at ~8:50):

NealBass likes this.
  12. ajschnitzelbank

ajschnitzelbank Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
  13. Puscifer has a bass and a Bass IV for Simultaneous.

14. Whenever you assemble your musical project, you must include Spinal Tap’s Big Bottom in your set.

15. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Best American band of the whole 80's decade, Hugo Largo, do you play...chords?

16. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Not really either "Prog" or "Fusion" in the traditional usage of those genre-names, but invigorating electric two-bass music from some pioneers in post-Ornette Coleman jazz:

Snaxster, JimK and Carl Hillman like this.

17. Quite a few songs on this album have two basses

18. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic Designer: Yorkville Sound
    I had to :bassist:

Boatwizard likes this.
  19. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I played in a band with 3 bassists 9 guitarists and 2 drummers.

20. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado

Firekyurem12, frnjplayer and JimK like this.