1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

For Sale Project Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by EdwardofHuncote, Aug 20, 2017.

1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Price:
    Strings:
    20170819_173103.jpg

All solid-wood 3/4 size bass... for sale or maybe trade. I don't know much about it, other than it is European, and getting close to 100 years old. I've been told many of the features suggest German or Czech origin. There is a repair tag dated 1934, from a shop in Dayton, Ohio, but no other labels are visible through the holes.

The good:

Carved top, flat back, of spruce and maple, respectively. Jet-black ebony fingerboard, nut, tailpiece, and endpin plug. Very nice old brass machines. Top has repaired cracks, but all are stable. Nicely carved relief around the edges, plenty of arch.

The bad:

Back has stable repairs too, but the center seam is opening. Not critical, but will require a fix.

The ugly:

Neck was broken off high, the repair is not stable. Upon removing the fingerboard and shim, there are multiple dowels, but amazingly no screws. There is a strange, square maple plug too. Whatever they tried didn't work.

Ultimately, that's why I'm selling it... this bass sounded positively fantastic, with a great balance and lots of punch, but I could not get that neck to stay put under the tension of steel strings. It will need a radical repair graft, or possibly need replacement... sadly, either way it's a bigger project than I'm willing to take on.

I'm glad to take any measurements or detailed pictures of anything not included here. Also glad to exchange phone numbers privately for discussion.

$1500, or best (reasonable) offer, considering there are easily $600 worth of ebony parts and hardware here. I may be interested in a trade for a serviceable American-made plywood bass.

I'll drive 150 miles in any direction from Roanoke, Virginia - which is well within reach of Central-Western North Carolina, East Tennessee, or Southern West Virginia. If you're in Northern Virginia, we'll pick a good spot on the I-81 corridor, perhaps as far as somewhere around Winchester.

Thanks for looking, TalkBass!

2. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Pictures...

Attached Files:

3. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    More...

Attached Files:

4. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    A few more...

Attached Files:

5. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Considering parting this one out. Please PM me any offers or questions. :thumbsup:

6. PM Sent.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021