Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Promo Packs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jeb, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I want to re-create the promo pack for my country/classic rock project in order to pick up a desired venue or two. I'd like some detailed input on how you would structure the promo pack, what you would include and how you would word it. How would you package the CD and what would the finished product look like in your hand as you passed it to the venue owner or agent?

Thanks.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What a good promo pack says, basicly, is "we pwn 00r audience, night after night". Acting and looking like a pro is the key.

3. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
  4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nice! My cover band just learned like 5 Def Lepard tunes, we're pretty psyched.

Anyway, most important to include is a description of your sound, a song list, demo if you have one, and contact info. A picture is an added plus too.

5. Nice looking promo pack. I like your riders at the end. Do most venues you play for follow through on those things (hotel rooms, drinks, etc)? I play in a small local cover band so we will likely never be able to get those kinds of things out of venues, but it sounds like fun :)

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I posted a thread like this a while back, more along the lines of putting together a bio for a press pack. Got a lot of good input, and settled on something like this;

http://xush.net/analog_missionary_bio.htm

We have a longer one with full press reviews and interviews, and a shorter one for sending to venues, etc. This is just the general format of the content- I'd use a spiffed up version with more graphics for printing/mailing.

When I send a pack out, I include at least the 2 pg bio w/ press excerpts, CDs, photo sheet, business card (good to send your contact info in at least 2 different printed forms- then they can't lose track of you) and maybe some promotional swag like stickers or whatnot...
    I've recently been throwing in a handwritten postcard catered to the reason for sending the pack, and I've found that personal touch has really been making a difference lately.
    People really respond to it.

It's good to make the envelope stand out from your average manilla affair too; every little bit that differentiates your band can make a bigger impact. Maybe a use colored envelope, or print some pics or logos or something on it.

I always try to think in terms of what would make me say "wow! Cool kit, these guys must be pretty interesting" if someone sent me a kit. And don't skimp, make it look as pro as possible.