1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Protect your Speakers & Amps with this Simple Fix

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robert Barrett, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Robert Barrett

Robert Barrett

Mar 28, 2016
    I may like to post some bass items for sale in your classified section (if you have one)
    I had a speaker shorting out and I also thought it was the amp cutting out. Both major expenses. Turned out it was just a bad jack in the back of the speaker (from bumping the cord into walls or just from being a cheap-ass 1/4" jack).

Anyways to prevent the potential problem of destroying the jack in the future (by bumping up against walls with the cabinet) I hard-wired my 1/4" speaker cord directly to the speaker, sealing the cord & hole (that had the jack) with silicone, and leaving just enough speaker cord (about 12") to connect to the amp sitting on top of the cabinet.

I would suggest this cheap but very critical fix to anyone who gigs regularly or who just wants to protect their amp & speakers.

Rockin Rob

2. Probably easier just converting to speakon

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    May I suggest that this is an absolutely horrible idea that will void the warranty of any manufacturer that I am aware of.

A much better and safer solution is to use a cable with a right angle 1/4" connector if you plan to be careless with your cabinet and jam it up against the wall. Alternatively, choose a speaker that uses a Speakon connector which is much more robust.

4. And if I wanna daisy-chain another cab?
    I'll leave mine. But, thanx anyway

spaz21387, SirMjac28 and Munjibunga like this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Your solution will work in the short term, but eventually the cable will break from being bent back and forth. Ampeg with the B-15 and SVT, had a speaker cable coming out of the amp's chassis. It is common to see the rubber jacket broken and eventually the cable's wires. They eventually went with a jack because of these issues.

In addition, the dangling attached cable is a pain to deal with. It makes the cabinet harder to load and transport.

I recommend that you replace the jack and be careful. Or install a speakon and be careful. :laugh:

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Or, just be more careful in the first place.

TC424, 10cc, BadExample and 9 others like this.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tell it like it is, Bro.

TrevorOfDoom, Embra, Al Kraft and 7 others like this.
  8. Maybe don't move your gear with the cables plugged in?

rmayer and Sartori like this.
  9. Speakons go bad too.

I have had to fix them on Ampeg cabs before. I just replace entire plug module as I'm not skilled enough to start desodering and replacing individual connections.

Point is, they can all wear out.

I look at connections like tires and brakes on cars, often used and regularly replaced if you ride them hard.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I think we're done here good day all.

GBassNorth, gregmon79, rmayer and 3 others like this.
  11. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    And a good day to you sir....:)

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    G’night all, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................................... :)

GBassNorth and SirMjac28 like this.
  13. ^^^why they make 90 degree 1/4" jacks. They are not just for bling anymore :D
    Always good to see Fat Freddy's cat. Always give me a boost. FF's cat takes me back to when I was young, foolish and always getting in trouble. Not so young now :(

GBassNorth and Fat Freddy like this.
  14. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Me neither.....The cat's still doing fine though :thumbsup::)

yash427 and BadExample like this.
  15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    OP's first post, perhaps he wasn't familiar with the efforts made to provide good long term solutions rather than behind the woodshed quick & dirty short term patch-ups?

16. aprod

aprod Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2008
    That is one of the dumbest things I have read on here. So you are going to hard wire a cab and head? Won't that take more care to prevent the cable from just pulling right out of either side than being careful with the original cable? This is no fix at all, just another accident waiting to happen.

john m, PillO, spaz21387 and 2 others like this.
  17. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    :yawn:
    Bad idea--- too easy to rip the cord out. Been moving gear since age 12, just turned 57. How many times have I loaded a band van? :yawn:

90 degree speaker cord or speakon . And be careful now that you know of a potential problem.

GBassNorth and spaz21387 like this.
  18. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Trinity, FL
    no problems with that .. ? after 40+ yrs of moving gear ...

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, no need to insult the guy. Sheesh! Yeah, it's a bad idea, but just say it's a bad idea. No need to call people names.

RichSnyder, Ewo, GBassNorth and 6 others like this.
  20. Korladis

Korladis Supporting Member

...not sure if serious...