1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Protecting your bass from sweat

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by drewsky2004, Jul 25, 2012.

1. drewsky2004

drewsky2004

Dec 29, 2010
    I have a question regarding sweat on the wood of a bass. Where we practice unfortunately it gets pretty hot, and sweat on my right forearm rubs against the wood of my bass. Any way to protect against sweat? or at least slow down its damage.

2. Earache

Earache

Feb 3, 2012
    Denver
  3. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
  4. Assuming you have a tough finish like Polyurethane, I would wipe the area where the sweat was with a damp cloth. This is to remove the acid and salts which, in time, will damage even the toughest of finishes. After the damp cloth, buff with a dry cloth until dry. Also, several times a year, polish and wax the body with a premium auto wax. At the very least, wipe the area immediately after playing with a clean dry cloth.
    Rocky

5. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I use Dupont Teflon Spray Auto Wax, works great!

6. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I use Dunlop Carnauba wax instrument polish, brilliant stuff .
    Luckily my sweat is not like the great Rory Gallacher`s :crying:

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Would you recommend wax for a satin poly finish?

8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Cut off an old sock or get some kind of arm band and wear that. Works great. Sometimes its too slippery, sometimes my arm sticks to the bass, problem solved.

9. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I use the Smith Guitar polish, excellent stuff. Gives it a glass finish. And like everyone above wipe the bass down after you play.

10. drewsky2004

drewsky2004

Dec 29, 2010
    I like this one, gonna try it!

11. My guitarist does this because he is "afraid" to damage his guitars. It looks absolutely ridiculous on stage to say the least. I would suggest the above methods of keeping your bass clean and waxed, and wear long sleeves. Problem solved.