1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Protools Compatibility and Mbox2/pro

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ernieballer, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Ernieballer

Ernieballer

Jun 13, 2006
    Lubbock, Tx
    I promise I did a search on this. What I want to do is record my guitarist & I at our house and I was thinking about getting the mbox 2 or pro. Now, If I record my bass parts and maybe my guitarists guitar parts at home with the mbox, will it be compatible with the full version of protools that the studio uses (they also use macs and I use a PC)?

Not to start rumors and I might be totally off base but, I heard the windows version of protools crashes more often than the mac based version, any truth to this?

Also, if I get a PCMCIA-->firewire card for me laptop, will that be slower than just using the usb2.0 or is the firewire full speed even if it has to go through the card?

Any advice regarding the mbox2 vs. pro, or recording interfaces in general will be very appreciated. I'm having to learn all about this home recording stuff and I feel that christmas itch comming on.

Thanks for any input.

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Protools LE and HD are compatible. Cross platform (pc to mac) is not a problem either.

I would recommend using an external hard drive and having your files saved in a logical manner. There's nothing worse than searching for files in a studio when the clock is ticking!

The only time Protools has crashed for me is when I was trying to websurf while it was running.

I use USB but Firewire is generally accepted as a better way to interface.

I love the Mbox interface. The Focusrite mic pres in it are outstanding!

Protools is such a great way to work. Scratch guitars and click tracks recorded at home. Drums done at a good studio. Go back home, lay down everything else. Go back into the studio to mix. Take everything to mastering studio. All without ever leaving the external hard drive!