Protools for real time multi-tracking

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Sanctum, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Lately we've been having problems with our Yamaha AW4416 HD recorder. We have an extra G5 laying around (don' ask :) ) so have been pondering the move to Protools.

However, am I right in understanding that to do actual multitracking on the computer I'm going to need some hefty and expensive interface before the computer? I understand the cheaper alternatives for mixing in Protools, but we want to actually track right into the computer.

For instance, on the Yamaha we begin with recording 6 drums tracks, then do the bass on 2 tracks, guitars, vocals etc.

I know the MBOx isnt that expensive but it doesn't seem to fit that bill.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Try Checking out the Digi 002 or 002R. They are not too expensive, run Pro Tools LE, and have multiple inputs. The 002 is a rack and is a grand less then the 002, look around at those.
  3. Thanks I have been looking at those - we really want the control surface though .... so the rack unit, while cheaper, still leaves us short.
  4. There are a bazillion MIDI and MIDI/USB control surfaces out there that are designed to work with Pro Tools. You shouldn't have a problem.