1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ProTools vs. n-Track studios?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Nov 8, 2006.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I've heard n-Track was better, what you guys think?

2. Zinkff

Zinkff

Nov 4, 2005
    Seattle area
    You can make a good recording with either. If it is stable and you are comfortable working in it, it is better -- for you.

3. lillitnn92

lillitnn92 °

Jun 15, 2006
    harrisonburg, va
    i used to have n'track a long time ago. i think it was free back then. as far as one vs the other, i'm gonna go with ProTools, it's only like an industry standard almost.

4. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    PT only works with Digidesign hardware (or m-audio hardware in the case of PT m-powered) if that makes any difference to you.
    ---
    c

5. N-track will work with anything, it is pretty basic in comparison to pro tools, but this could be seen as a good thing aswell as a bad thing.

Ive managed a few decentish recordings with nTrack, either way, the problems in the recordings were not due to ntrack.

:)

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

n-track can certainly hang with Pro-Tools! Just the fact that it's not the industry standard means you can't take projects in and out of a Professional studio. If you have a project studio in your home, it's a great (& cheap) full fledged program. It is fully supported and upgraded regularly!

7. Definatly!

The only reason im going to be moving off nTrack is because im getting a presonus firepod which includes Cubase LE, and nTrack isnt listed as one of the compatible programs (tho it may work fine).

8. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    One advantage to n-Track the ability to use more than 32 tracks if you like. Pro Tools will also allow this, but only if you buy one of their TDM systems.

If you record your tracks as .wav files, you can transfer them to almost any digital audio studio.

Edit: Protools LE will now support up to 64 tracks with a software upgrade.

9. Danimal00

Danimal00 Dealer: Sweetwater

Feb 28, 2006
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sound Senior Sales Engineer
    Actually, ProTools LE can be upgraded to work with up to 48 Mono or Stereo tracks with the MPToolkitLE. The MPToolkitLE also includes some great plug ins, soft synths and added functionality with the multitrack Beat Detective.

Dan

10. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Wow, that's even less than the 64 that I thought it would do. Most people should be able to work with 32 - 48 tracks, though, and it is good to see Digi add more functionality.

Digi has crippled Pro Tools LE for some time. I realize that they want to differentiate between LE and TDM, but there are options that blow LE/MBOX/Digi001 away at its price point in terms of sound and features. At least they are starting to address the issue.

11. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Pro tools is the standard. Why work with something that can't be transported easily? If you are professional, you're not gonna try and re invent the wheel..

Digital Performer
    Logic
    Pro-tools

Covers ALL PROFESSIONAL situations...

12. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan

I agree, but if he's asking about n-track, he's working on a PC, which rules out DP and Logic. If he has a Mac, I'd definitely recommend Logic or DP over Pro Tools because I feel that they give you more to work with.

13. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I used N-Track 3.0 for a while last year. In my opinion it is not the most stable program. I know my way around PCs and drivers, and it seemed like I couldn't get through any session without it freezing.

Lately I have been using Tracktion 2.0. It is VERY stable, has a nice GUI and it is $150 or so. It has everything I need.

14. Hmm, thats odd, out of all my time using nTrack, ive only had it freeze once, and that was when it was doing a mixdown with alot of tracks and alot of effects on each track, i think it was more my computer (even tho its pretty good) not coping.

15. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    we use protools le in our studio and we love it.

16. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I had freezeup (and other) issues with n-track, which is why I eventually abandoned it for Cubase and later Sonar. I was never sure if this was because of the software or because of driver issues, but Sonar is rock solid for me.

Stability issues aside, they're both great programs. Neither of them is Sonar though. :)

Regarding portability, I don't ever find this to be a factor in a software purchasing decision. It's very seldom that I have a project that needs to be sent to someone else where they need all of the editing metadata. If I really do need the project moved elsewhere and I can't just take it over on my laptop (for instance, if I'm recording a project with remote musicians), I'll export each individual track and send it as a bundle of .WAV files that can be imported.

Granted, I'm not a big studio, but neither is the original poster if they're trying to decide between Protools and n-track. :)

17. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Pro Tools is the ticket. I use M-Powered with my ProjectMix and a MOTU 8Pre via lightpipe and it runs like a charm.

18. anomalee

anomalee

Dec 16, 2005
    London, KY
    Pro tools, all the way.

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Cubase or Nuendo, if you have the cash. Samplitude is also great, although a little weaker in the MIDI department.

20. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    The price is right on this software package and you can try before you buy: http://reaper.fm/index.php

edit: I am switching to the above from n-track due to issues with n-track 4.x
    I didn't have any problems with n-track 3.x.
    If the above program just doesn't do what I want (I think it will) I will be buying Tracktion 3.0 when it is released.