Prototype Acoustic speaker cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Oct 22, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm not sure what to make of this enclosure...

Sure, it looks familiar, but there are some things that are just "off". Could it have been a one-off or prototype?

To my knowledge, Acoustic never built a 1x15 folded horn (I couldn't find one in all of the catalogs posted on either). The 360/361/301 all used an 18 in. Vega. Plus, the 1x18 folded horn cabinets were all 48 in. tall, not 43 in. like this one.

The seller said that the cabinet once had a power amp in the bottom. This make sense viewing the wide 360/361 style blue panel and handles, but the 361 that I had featured an input panel near the top between the handles, not at the bottom of the speaker access panel.

On that subject, I believe that all powered folded horn cabinets had a sub enclosure for the speaker that had to be completely removed and was secured with bolts through the side of the enclosure. This cabinet has an access panel on the back sort of like a later model 301 cabinet.

I could just dismiss it as a home built cabinet with scavanged 360/361 parts, but the rear panel has the famous warning marking on know the little red and white label that states “CAUTION – Sound pressure levels may exceed 120 db within 10 ft of this enclosure”. How could one duplicate that?

Other questionable features include the corner protectors (the original corners that Acoustic used did not wrap around) but that's an easy swap, a painted baffle (any 301 I've ever opened up had an unpainted baffle) and the presence of the phone jack in the subenclosure. Both 301s and the 361 that I've pulled apart just had the speaker wire passing through a hole in the baffle.

Anyone have any thoughts?
  2. I used to have one that I bought used. It had 1 18" in it. It had a power cord on the top and looked like there may have been an amp in the bottom at one time. I had 2 accoustic heads that came with mine I forget which model numbers.
    Sold it a couple years ago.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000

The plate was up top between the handles, with a power cord, fuseholder, input jack and IIRC an output jack for a second speaker cabinet.

That would have been the 361 cabinet that originally had a 200 watt amp in the bottom.