Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Psychadelic backdrop?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kearney, Oct 20, 2004.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    how do you get a MOVING pyschadelic backdrop as pictured used by the who in monterey, its really cool lookin and i was wondering how to get this effect,

see the kids are alright for motion,

anyone know what im talkin bout?

2. You mean the background WAS actually moving? It wasn't the purple microdot I ingested?

3. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
  4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    There is a company in KC which does lighted backdrops for a lot of jamband shows around here. They get a number of overhead projectors (like teachers used when I was in school) and have a transparent plate of some different colored oil suspended in water(?) on the bed of each one. Then they play with the droplets of oil. It's a very cool effect.

5. like jefferson airplane ?

[​IMG]

:crying: a picture used to be worth 1,000 words... ...but then inflation happened...

6. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    yeah thats what my dad just told me, actually they still use overheads, i can vouch, im 14

7. Yes, this is how they do it. I've watched them do it at many shows in San Francisco. Good times!

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out Live At The Fillmore East: A Photographic Memoir by Amalie Rothschild. There's pictures & a chapter on the people who performed these psychedelic collages as a backdrop for the live music.
    These people were artists/performed in their own right...the images were performed live each night. How well they performed maybe depended on how well the Grateful Dead's road manager hooked them up pre-show. ;)
    Not sure if the same group did Monterey Pop(I'm thinkin' maybe they did).

The recent Allman Brothers DVD(at The Beacon?) has some of the psychedelics going on behind them...probably 'compooterized'/pre-programmed.

10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I do a lot of lighting for live bands. You can do the gel/overhead thing but it's major pain in the ass for a lighting guy to deal with. Advise: don't put together a system and show up at a venue doing the "Oh, by the way..." to the house lighting guy. The main problem will be pre-focused lights that will wash out your effect; a 200W overhead projector is no match for a bunch of 1000W pars. Advance this info.

One way of more easily approximating it is with moving lights with a gobo (in this case a glass plate) designed to simulate this effect. In High End fixtures (Technobeames, Studiospots are you most likely choices) this gobo is called Lumoil.

Another way is to get a video company that specialized in content to provide that kind of image and project it. Again this is info the lighting guy needs in advance.

11. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    My band Caribou Foot is puting together a light show backdrop using the "visual skins" used in music programs like Windows Media Player and of the such. We're trying to figure out a way to run a signal line through the "visual skin" and project it onto a backdrop for each musician. So there would be 6 different skins "dancing" along with what each musician would be playing. So if I stop playing and let the groove cook for a little bit, my visual will be still untill I come back in. It's pretty tricky to get everything set up though, but it's coming along.