1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PU replacement for Samick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jb_kid, Jun 11, 2007.

1. jb_kid

jb_kid

Jul 6, 2006
    i've got samick PJ bass for 5 years and that's my second option for gigs since i have fender deluxe MIM... just wanna ask, if i wanted to replace the PU, since i don't like the sound, what PU should i choose ?? Any good PJ PU ?? i would prefer a passive PU, since i don't want to recondition my bass.. thx for the suggestion..:smug:

2. The DiMarzio Model P and Model J come as a set. Im quite fond of the sound i get from an old banger bass i have equiped with em :)

3. jb_kid

jb_kid

Jul 6, 2006
    How bout seymourduncan.. The passive one.. I've read great review about this PU..

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

there are lots of decent replacements: SD 1/4; Barts, G&L MFD, Nords are popular, Reverend 8.7K's a nice pup, and there's no doubt some mainliners I'm leaving out but I'm not into P's.

You just have to read reviews and take a stab.

5. jb_kid

jb_kid

Jul 6, 2006
    if i wanted to put EMG active pickups but i don't wanna use pre amp onboard, is it possible ?

6. I dont see why it wouldnt be possible.

You would probably have to change your pots tho, to ones of a different value. And you would have to add a battery to your bass.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Somehow I missed this is a PJ setup not just P.

All active pups have a built-in pre - that's what makes them active. What you'd need is a battery, 25K pots, and stereo jack.

However I found the EMG BTC pre a plus in filling out the sound on a PJ setup. They struck me on the thin side otherwise. The BTC is basically just a pot with a 1" pcb so takes up basically no additional space. Give's you added control plus it has knee dips for hi-frequency adjustment to taste - for slap/transients/whatever.

It's all on EMG's site.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021