1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pub gig setup?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Big Shezzy, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Big Shezzy

Big Shezzy

Sep 30, 2008
    Manchester
    Recently did a pub gig, where we played in what can only be described as a fireplace! The sound was atrocious!
    As a general rule can any of you guys give an idea of where to place amps etc? I have been told that the bass amp should always be put away from the guitar amps?
    Also not to run the bass through the PA.

2. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Pub gigs are always tricky as you never know what you are going to get as far as PA or not or the amount of physical space for you to play in. I have played many many pub gigs in tight locations. I find the biggest problem is that they have crammed as many poker machines or black jack machines as possible in an already small venue. The biggest issue is not where to place your amps but in understanding there is less physical space for your volume to go. I guess what I'm saying is I have found over-all volume levels to be the biggest problem. This comes down to the maturity of the band members in understanding that at some venues you have to turn down and play your volume to the room you are in. Now if you are in some kinda death metal band then volume is your friend and everyone is expecting it to be loud and you can ignore my advice. But I would recomend having a discussion with your bandmates and maybe try to practice playing quieter for small venues. Now I've never had any succes with this as there is always one member of the band who turns up, and it becomes a volume war (we all know which instrumentalist this is, dont we).
    As far as placing amps I always like to be inside the drums with the guitarist on the other side of the stage area (or other side of the fire place, whatever the case may be).

3. Big Shezzy

Big Shezzy

Sep 30, 2008
    Manchester
    Yeah blimey, that is exactly what happens, the Geetarist decides to turn up a noth for his blistering solo the doesn't turn it down, we all have to crank up and before you know it people are complaining or leaving as the sound is too high!
    So we have tried putting the geetars through the PA which does seem to have worked however it is just finding the balance of people at the far end of the boozer hearing you and peole at the front being deafened!

4. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    YMMV, but here is what we do. In really really small places, we run everything direct and fold back everything but bass in the vocal monitors. Our PA is 2 15-and-horn cabs on stands and everyone gets a monitor wedge. The only amp allowed is my GK MB150 tilted back as a monitor placed next to the other monitors to avoid bleeding into the mics. Since we all sing, it's the only way to hear the vocals on "stage". If your guitars use pedal boards for their effects it's a no brainer. Most guitarists like their tube amp sound, but how is that going to be effective if the amp has to be on 1?

5. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    +1 to everything said above. Running my bass direct really brought the stage volume down. I am able to keep my volume down on my amp, which forces everyone else to keep it down, which makes the vocalists happy.