1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pulaski Days

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phalex, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It's Pulaski weekend here in Grand Rapids MI. The festivities are meant to celebrate the accomplishments of Gen Kashmir Pulaski. Pulaski was a Polish military man who helped the US during the American Revolutionary War.

It pretty much consists of hanging out at one of the many Polish halls on the cities west side, eating kielbasa and glumpki's (some of the gassiest foods known to man.) and drinking mass quantities of beer.

We aren't playing any of the Polish halls this year, but there's live music all over the place this weekend.

It's an annual event that's been going on for as long as I can remember (longer I suspect).

Does anyplace else observe this celebration of drunken, gassy debauchery, or is Grand Rapids unique in this regard?? Anybody else ever heard of Kashmir Pulaski??

2. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    In Chicago, we used to get the day off for Pulaski Day.

3. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I feel violated!! I never get nuthin but drunk!

Do they acknowledge Pulaski day in VA??

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There are a number of highways named for General Pulaski up here the Northeast. Oddly, not much hoopla about him in
    the Deep South, where he served battling the Brits. He was
    killed in the Battle of Savannah iirc, or died shortly thereafter on the Brigantine Wasp ( a venerable Naval name).

I think you guys have the lock on the big party, though.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Not until the Sufjan Stevens song, to be honest. (The holiday must have been some time before I moved to Chicago.)

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Lots of stuff going on in both Philly and New York City this weekend including a huge parade. Rumor has it that I may be partaking in some of said festivities :)
    In this area at least it's more an ethnic festival type thing rather than something specifically honoring Pulaski, though it certainly does.

7. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    The Polish celebration in my town is Dyngus day. There is a parade, and lots of parties with pussy willows and squirt guns, and yes Polka bands and beer! My wife is 100% Polish, and lived on Pulaski Street before I swept her away and married her. :smug: (So yes, I heard of Gen. Pulaski!)

8. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I'll play some Big Black in your honour.

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Nothing here.

Dammit, I want another festival day. :scowl:

10. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

It's a goodun too! There are shuttles running between all the Polish halls to keep things safe.

Back when I was a young man I used to get very excited about Pulaski days!

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    The Monday after Easter? It's celebrated in this area as well but doesn't seem to be as big.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Living in Europe for 12 years taught me that it's OK to celebrate most anything. We lived in small farm towns for most of the time, and every religious and state holiday, birthday, and soccer win was celebrated with as much partying and celebration that they could get away with. It was so much fun too because the whole family was involved since there was something to do for everyone. One of my fondest memories was every year in the town we lived in for a few years (my brother acctually has german godparents from this town. Mine are a few towns over), they would celebrate the towns patron saint with a huge fest in this old barn at the edge of town. Three days of drinking, eating, bathtub racing, discos, carnival, and whatnot! Good times.

We get back here to the states, and nobody partys. It's boring as hell! People get together to watch football, and celebrate bithdays, but there is no mass get together and party because it's the end of summer type partys. The towns will have there town fest, but that's usually just the local shops coming out and advertising. :(

Oh well. Rant off. Have fun dude! Drink a beer or four for me. :D

13. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Not that I know of.

But, Chicago has more Polish people living there than Warsaw.

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    +1 That's one thing that I miss from back in the days when I was living there. parties for everything. "Name days" were something that I found myself celebrating like every other day.. The calendar was full of the names of saints (a specific day is assigned to a particular saint), when the day came around for a saint that you may have been named after, then it was your day to party. There were many many saints too :)

15. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Every Wed. on my way to bass lessons I drive on the Pulaski Skyway, the most decrepit suspension bridge I've ever been on. At least now I know who Pulaski is.

16. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Never heard of the guy, but I did go to a Polish restaurant last night. They had the best apple pie there. Also honey vodka, mmm.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I'll second that. The Pulaski Skyway looks like something you would see in a post-nuclear holocaust film

18. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Its also the name of a pretty decent Clutch song....

19. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Casimir Pulaski day is big in Chicago. The first Monday in March is annually designated Pulaski Day in the entire state of Illinois.

Much drinking takes place.