Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pulled neck

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by flatback, Dec 15, 2005.

1. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I need my tyrolean flatback to have a block put in and the neck brought out.I'm wondering what kind of tonal difference that is going to make? The thumb position is difficult to transition to and the edge of the bass is wearing down so I feel that it is time to finally get this work done, but I don't want the balance or the timber to alter too much.Anybody faced this before?

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Bringing the neck out generally gives the bass a more buttery feel, and a fuller low-end. 99% of the time bass players like it. Does this bass of yours lack an upper body neck block?

3. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Thanks nick for taking the time to anwer. Yes It is of the Tyroleans, that were made without them. What do you mean buttery?Is that the sound or the feel?
    Thanks

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The feel.

You will probably notice a fatter sound with the addition of a real body neckblock in the instrument. It's good to hear you are spending the money to have this done right. It's well worth it!

5. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    yo Flatty - dog here..
    I would highly suggest you have the neck pulled. here is what it does...
    you are increasing the pressure on the top of the instrument.
    once the neck is pulled- the strings press the bridge to the top with more pressure - this will draw more sound from your bass - AS well as give the sound more of a punch. Another really nice by-product of this operation is that as well... the area of the neck between the heel and the octave harmonic(begining of TP) is MUCH easier to play in.
    I have had this done my last three basses and have always been happy. Contact Bill Merchant about it..he does a great job at a great price and knows a heck of a lot about proper bridge heights etc..
    hope this all helps.
    A