Pulled the trigger, now I wait (UPDATED 2x)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GrapeBass, Jan 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    I've just ordered a set of the Fender Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass Pickups for my MIM FSR Deluxe Jazz Bass - Natural (ash + rosewood). (Sweetwater US$40 OFF)

UPDATE 1: Apparently, Sweetwater's 'supplier' doesn't permit them to ship to Canada! LOL I'll have to find an alternative source. Maybe Long & McQuade will suffice. I just might wait as there's no rush.

UPDATE 2: Ordered from L&M in Ottawa (great guys, thanks Nick!). They're en route, back to the waiting game.

Side note
    I was also thinking to swap the 'Duncan Designed' pickups on my Squier VM Fretless and put in the 'Standard' Jazz Bass pickups that the Customs are replacing.

153079CA-B05A-490C-B3B8-F2360EA7C78B.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The Duncan-designed pickups are pretty great IME.

96tbird and GrapeBass like this.
  3. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Finally got the Fender CS 60's installed...

Observations
    - Physically, the ceramic (yuck, but okay sounding) MIM Jazz Bass pickups are a bit taller than the CS 60's and an addition piece of foam was needed for spacing.
    - The CS 60's have a wonderfully focused tone. Sweet sounding with nice timbre, they seem to pickup the apparent acoustic tone of the bass fairly accurately or at least pleasantly to my ear.

Stage 2 will happen next week.
    I will install said MIM ceramic pickups in the Squier VM Fretless, replacing the 'Duncan Designed.' I find the 'Duncan Designed' so sound ok/meh, hopefully replacing them with the ceramics will improve the tone 'similarly' as the CS 60's had done on the FSR.

4. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Nope... the MIM ceramic stock pickups from the FSR still suck... gonna return the VM back to sing the Duncan Designed.

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I never have cared for Fender Standard MIM stock pickups. I’ve owned several MIM basses and guitars, and the pickups always get replaced.

GrapeBass likes this.
  6. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I'm not surprised you went back to the DD's. Once I shielded my VM Jazz to cut the hum and slammed the neck pup all the way down to stop the E string from warbling on the high frets I haven't wanted to replace them at all. The fender designed pups on later VM's are pretty good too.

GrapeBass likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022