1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pulled The Trigger On A G&L SB-2 Tribute

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Low Tone, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    I stumbled across a new SB-2 Tribute early this afternoon on eBay. After much internet searching, reading reviews, scanning Talkbass threads and trying to scrounge up some very scarce sound clips, I pulled the BIN trigger.

I was a little hesitant at first because I used to have an L2000 Tribute that left me underwhelmed to say the least. However, everything I've read and seen has lead me to believe that the SB-2 is a completely different animal and I'm really anxious to try this beast out. I really wasn't planing on spending as much as I did since it was just supposed to be for backup but I absoultely fell in love with the looks of it.

What I find odd is the fact that this is the only one I've seen online that looks like this. I mean there are other SB-2 Tributes out there but I have not seen another one that is metallic red with a black pick guard. All the other red ones I've seen have a white pick guard. Could this be an after market addition or is it something new?

Here's a pic of it.

Attached Files:

2. dynja

dynja

Apr 20, 2009
    I've only had mine a few days, but am liking everything about it. I like the looks of the black pickguard on yours....that may be a change on mine in the near future.

3. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    That's part of what made me want it. That black on red combo just reached right out and grabbed me. I find it odd that I can't find another like it anywhere online though.

4. dynja

dynja

Apr 20, 2009
    Was that the one on Ebay? If so...that ws a sweet deal....nice going.
    And...I've never seen the red with black either.

5. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Yeah, beatstreatmusic was the seller.

I figured it was a good price considering I paid almost $150 more for my L2000 Tribute a few years ago. Plus it's free shipping, so I probably ended up paying almost $200 less for the bass its self.

6. I dig my SB-2- it is the black metallic with black pickguard. I am probably going to change the pickguard out with one from http://pickguards.us/ but have not decided on which color yet- maybe the baltic amber or a tortoise shell one. Love the sound of it though and just switched strings to TI Jazz flats- what a deep rumble now... of course no more slapping..

7. I dont know what you like in a bass, but coming from an old P-bass guy, I love my SB-2 Tribute. It has an excellent neck and sounds great through a tube amp for roots rock, blues, country and rock stuff.

8. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    I was getting ready to hit the BIN on a Black MIM Standard Precision when I saw the SB-2. For me, the P-bass is the definitive bass tone. I also have a custom built bass with a P/J configuration that has active EMG electronics. I'm seriously considering changing those out for passive p'ups to get a more traditional sound out of it.

9. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Man, that makes me want to stick a black guard on my red Tribby SB-2...

10. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    I still have not been able to locate another red SB-2 with black pickguard anywhere online. The ad listed the bass as new but I wonder how it ended up this way?

Of course, it's possible that somebody came in their store and wanted a white pickguard on the black SB-2 so the shop just switched 'em out..... If that's the case, I thank whomever wanted that white pickguard! :D

11. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    IMO the black pg looks alot better than the white.
    I have had my SB-2 Tribute for close to 3 weeks now and it is an awesome bass. Love the tone and the neck, my P-basses are kinda mad at me though.

12. dynja

dynja

Apr 20, 2009
    I would like mine even better, without the intense humming from the J pickup. It's pretty much useless at this point. :help:

13. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Strange you should mention problems with the J p'up. The seller I bought the SB2 from called me this afternoon, informed me there was a short or something in the J p'up and he was ordering me a new bass from G&L.

My only question?
    It will still have the black pickguard, right? :eyebrow:
    :D

He assured me that is the way he ordered it and I would have a black pickguard on my Bordeaux Red Metallic SB2. It will take an extra week or so but he wasn't comfortable sending out the bass in it's current condition.

I'm disappointed that I will have to wait a bit longer but kudos to beatstreetmusic for being honest enough to tell me there was a problem and taking the steps to fix it. :cool:

14. dynja

dynja

Apr 20, 2009
    That's great that they are taking care of you so well. I'm going to take mine in and have it checked out. It may be a short, or just needs grounding. Other than the hum....I'm lovin' it. :bassist:

15. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    A bit more on the pickguard-

According to G&L's website, the Metallic Red isn't even offered with a pickguard other than pearloid white. The black SB2 is only offered with the black pickguard and no other options. When I talked to the guy from Beat Street Music, he figures either somebody made a run of these by mistake or they ran out of white pickguards and used black to keep up production. Since they are assembled overseas, anything is possible. Either way, I'm getting a bass that should have never been. :smug:

16. When I was shopping for an SB-2 Trib about 6 months ago, I did see a few new ones in red with black pg's. Glad the seller is taking care of issues for you.

17. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Well, the seller said he had a couple others like it as well but hadn't seen anyone else with one. I'm sure there's more than one. I just find it odd that there are no other pics around anywhere of them

18. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    maybe a run of tribute sb-2s was ready, but they were out of white pickguards so they put the black ones on?
    from what I read on this forum this is not unlikely with g&l (tuners from brand b when they were out of brand a, black hardware when they were out of chrome hardware...)

many online dealers use the official photos provided by g&l, I guess.

19. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    WooHoo!
    The Tribby shipped from the seller today!! :hyper:

:bassist:

20. redbass4

redbass4

Apr 24, 2009
    I have a Tribute SB-2 a few months now and it the metallic red with white pickguard. It is a wonderful bass and very handsome. The black pickguard you have reminds me of Tuxedo versus a White Dinner Jacket. My current strings are Fender Nickels and I am wondering what you thought of either DR Sunbeams (45-100) or the Ernie Ball Super Slinky #2834 (45-100) or what you recommend. Thanks.